Senior Technical Lighting Artist
We’re ArenaNet—we’ve created a studio that makes online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. We're not the only ones who share this passion; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time.
As a game developer that constantly strives to innovate, our studio is built on a foundation of excellence with a focus on community. We're unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2. The status quo isn’t good enough for the dedicated worldwide community of GW2 players, which is why we question industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
As Senior Technical Lighting Artist, you will be responsible for research, design, and development of a new suite of lighting tools and workflows. This critical role will serve to define how lighting is used by design and art to craft game spaces that are awe inspiring, engaging and informative.
• Work closely with design, environment art, and engineering to capture lighting requirements of game environments and simulation (weather, day/night, seasons and water)
• Create flexible physically based shaders that satisfy a wide variety of lighting needs
• Work with graphics engineers to design engine level lighting components (post process effects, BRDFs, etc) needed to achieve the visual target of various game environments
• Set standards and best practices for lighting and post process effects (color grading, optical artifacts, DOF, exposure, etc)
• Research and design lighting processes, tool chain, pipeline, and techniques to maximize collaboration and iteration between environment art, design, and engine programming teams
• Develop or implement tools, scripts, and workflows to author, implement, and iterate on lighting for environment and gameplay
• Advance the quality of art in our titles by creating tools, enhancing workflows and introducing new technology to the art pipeline
• Support the Art Department and other disciplines by providing solutions to a wide variety of challenges
• Collaborate with multiple disciplines to prototype and implement new features and game mechanics
• Investigate and provide solutions for in-game performance deficits
• 10 years of experience in game development with a significant portion dedicated to the use and creation of lighting for game environments
• Solid understanding of physically based lighting and a strong opinion about how it can be stylized to enhance the construction of a game that still looks hand-crafted
• Proficiency with node based shader authoring tools. Experience with script based shader creation a plus
• Credit on at least 4 PC or console games
• Familiarity with Unreal, Unity, Crytek, Source, or other proprietary tool sets and understanding of strengths and weaknesses of various commercial and proprietary systems
• Deep expertise in all aspects of lighting pipelines including set up, automation, and optimization
• Solid foundation in environment composition and color theory
• Customer centric approach to tool development; solid grasp of UX
• Deeply technical and facile with scripting languages and tool automation such as Python, MEL, MAXScript or similar languages
• Passion for making artists lives better and an inherent drive to iterate and continuously improve systems
• Creative problem solver, capable of making complicated tradeoffs between visual fidelity, artist empowerment, automation, workflow speed & efficiency, and game performance
• A passion for games and the drive to make a truly unique and innovative gaming experience
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Self-driven team player with the ability to thrive in ambiguity
• A commitment to personal and peer development by seeking out and proactively sharing best practices
• Proficiency with DCC tools (Maya and Photoshop preferred)
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.
ArenaNet is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.