ArenaNet, a software game development studio focused on creating outstanding innovative Massively Multiplayer Games (MMORPGs), is seeking a talented, experienced Server Programmer interested in distributed systems programming of continuously-running near-real-time servers. Our Server Programmers tackle networking, computational, and data management problems and we produce generalized solutions appropriate for implementing a breadth of game features. Take part in building restartable, dynamically updatable, asynchronous, fault tolerant servers, producing scalable designs and high quality code that will execute worldwide.
- Strong C/C++ skills
- A passion for high performance server architecture
- Understanding and interest in security and scalability issues
- Interest and experience with concurrency and transactions
- Interest and experience with multithreading
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Avid MMO player, especially of Guild Wars 2
- Previous game industry experience, relevant undergraduate degree and/or equivalent experience preferred
- Experience with modern Windows APIs
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with HTML/XML/XSLT
- Experience with C#
In order to complete your application for the Server Programmer position at ArenaNet, please send C++ or C# code samples along with your application. If your code samples are not online, you may send samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is what we are looking for in your code samples:
- Your best work.
- Demonstrated breadth of programming skills.
- Ability to write readable, maintainable and efficient code.
- Ability to design clear abstractions and clean interfaces.
- Appropriate selection of data structures or algorithms.
What we are not looking for:
- Code any of your previous employers have prevented you from sending us.
- Solutions to simple problems (such as counting the number of zero bits in an integer).
- Straightforward implementations of published algorithms (such as A*).
- Wrapper classes for an existing library.
- Math libraries such as matrix and vector implementations.
- That code that you wrote years ago but which you could write better today; we want to see examples of your current skill.
This is your chance to impress our engineering department and show us why we should hire you. So, send us a sample of your very best work, something you're proud of. If you don't have anything on hand that meets the above criteria, write some code that does.
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.