ArenaNet, a software game development studio focused on creating outstanding innovative Massively Multiplayer Games (MMORPGs), is seeking a talented, experienced Server Programmer interested in distributed systems programming of continuously-running near-real-time servers. Our Server Programmers tackle networking, computational, and data management problems and we produce generalized solutions appropriate for implementing a breadth of game features. Take part in building restartable, dynamically updatable, asynchronous, fault tolerant servers, producing scalable designs and high quality code that will execute worldwide.
- Strong C/C++ skills
- A passion for high performance server architecture
- Understanding and interest in security and scalability issues
- Interest and experience with concurrency and transactions
- Interest and experience with multithreading
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Avid MMO player, especially of Guild Wars 2
- Previous game industry experience, relevant undergraduate degree and/or equivalent experience preferred
- Experience with modern Windows APIs
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with HTML/XML/XSLT
- Experience with C#
In order to complete your application for the Server Programmer position at ArenaNet, please send C++ or C# code samples along with your application. If your code samples are not online, you may send samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is what we are looking for in your code samples:
- Your best work.
- Demonstrated breadth of programming skills.
- Ability to write readable, maintainable and efficient code.
- Ability to design clear abstractions and clean interfaces.
- Appropriate selection of data structures or algorithms.
What we are not looking for:
- Code any of your previous employers have prevented you from sending us.
- Solutions to simple problems (such as counting the number of zero bits in an integer).
- Straightforward implementations of published algorithms (such as A*).
- Wrapper classes for an existing library.
- Math libraries such as matrix and vector implementations.
- That code that you wrote years ago but which you could write better today; we want to see examples of your current skill.
This is your chance to impress our engineering department and show us why we should hire you. So, send us a sample of your very best work, something you're proud of. If you don't have anything on hand that meets the above criteria, write some code that does.
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.
ArenaNet is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.