We’re ArenaNet, a studio making online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. Our passion is broadly shared; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time.
Our studio is built on foundations of excellence with a focus on community. We constantly innovate, unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2 and beyond. The status quo isn’t good enough for our dedicated worldwide community of players which is why we question the de facto industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
ArenaNet is currently seeking a talented, highly-motivated, passionate and experienced VFX artist to join our team. The FX artist will work closely with the Lead FX Artist, Art Director and Design teams to create spectacular visual effects for players, creatures and items, bringing the magic (both figuratively and literally) to life. Please include links to your current portfolio when applying.
- Work closely with designers to visualize gameplay VFX for players, creatures and events
- Work with environmental and prop artists to enhance items and environments
- Create VFX assets using propriety and commercial tools
- Maintain visual cohesion with the GW2 art style
- 3 plus years of industry experience in all stages of game development from preproduction to ship.
- At least 1 shipped title for PC or Console
- Strong portfolio demonstrating excellent understanding of particle systems, animation, simulations, modeling, and texture painting
- 3D art generalist, competent in all areas of asset creation
- Strong working knowledge of Maya
- Ability to author texture source from scratch or photo/video reference, and create looping texture sets through use of Photoshop and After Effects
- Highly motivated, self-starter, and creative thinker
- Able to creatively solve problems
- Strong grasp of the overall ArenaNet visual style for Guild Wars
- Experience with shader development
- Background in painting, concept art, or animation
- Ability to model and texture hard surface / rigid objects within a range of styles (painterly to realistic)
This is a full time, on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.