|TGS provides multi-client geoscience data to oil and gas Exploration and Production companies worldwide. In addition to extensive global geophysical and geological data libraries that include multi-client seismic data, magnetic and gravity data, digital well logs, production data and directional surveys, TGS also offers advanced processing and imaging services, interpretation products, permanent reservoir monitoring and data integration solutions.
The Data Services Technician’s primary responsibility is to load 2D and 3D seismic data and write seismic data to tapes or USB drives for our clients. Additionally, it is the responsibility of the Data ServicesTechnician to quality control the data before passing it to the appropriate group in a timely manner. In this role the incumbent will also provide IT support for various hardware and peripherals as well as install and upgrade software.
Location: Houston, TX (North Location)
- Troubleshoot hardware and software problems
- Lift/carry computers and monitors
- Load data on tapes to specific disks on processing system
- Place seismic data on tapes or USB drives with appropriate documentation to ship to clients
- Work with processing organization to allocate disk space
- Automate system administration functions using UNIX shell scripts (csh, bash)
- Prioritize and address multiple tasks in a dynamic work environment
- Resolve support requests in a timely manner, escalating to other team members when appropriate
- Install, upgrade, and maintain software, hardware, and peripherals
- Perform general system maintenance and support (user adds, file system cleanup, reboots)
- Troubleshoot connectivity issues (TCP/IP, DHCP, Samba, etc.)
- Develop and maintain documentation or procedures and processes, as well as maintenance logs
- Perform basic seismic processing tasks (convert data from SEGD to SEGY format, merge seismic data with coordinates)
- Take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of other employees, and comply with all instructions given regarding health, safety and the protection of the environment.
- Ensure the correct use of safety devices and protective equipment as required and report any hazards, accidents or injuries to your immediate supervisor.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer Science, Engineering or related area preferred
- One year of Linux/Unix experience is required
- Intermediate skills in Excel is required
- Ability to replace any standard computer hardware (hardware break/fix)
- Ability to communicate technical issues in non-technical terms
- Eager to learn and grow their career
- Must be able to work well in an unpredictable environment and be able to effectively adjust priorities and focus as requirements shift in a dynamic environment
- Experience with the following is a plus, but not required: NIS, DNS, NFS, NAS, and high availability concepts
- Basic understanding of seismic processing would be a plus
- Experience with tape and disk management would be beneficial
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Enjoys working in a team environment but can work independently.
- Works well under pressure.
TGS provides competitive salary and benefits packages.
This job description is intended to explain the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
TGS is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants must currently be qualified to work in the United States.