Finance and Operations Director
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International recruiting is seeking applicants for the position of Finance and Operations Director for an anticipated US Agency for International Development (USAID) Community-based Forest-management program in Zambia. This is a multi-year program to support the Government of the Republic of Zambia address the drivers of deforestation and degradation and strengthen forest management in the Eastern Province of Zambia. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached position description.
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Winrock offers employees excellent benefits. The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Applicants should submit a current resume and cover letter referencing “Livelihoods Specialist” by June 30, 2013. Zambians residing in Zambia are encouraged to apply.
- Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
UNIT: Forestry & Natural Resource Management
Winrock is seeking a Finance and Operations Director for upcoming USAID-funded programs related to Forestry and REDD+ in Zambia. The Community-based Forest-management program (CFP) will be a key component of USAID/Zambia’s Global Climate Change (GCC) program under the Presidential GCC Initiative. The CFP will strengthen the Government of Zambia’s Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD+) strategy, by using a range of approaches to more effectively and sustainably manage forested areas through integrated forest planning and active community engagement.
The Finance and Operations Director will have primary responsibility for maintaining the program’s financial integrity by directing all financial practices, records and reporting. The Finance and Operations Director will be responsible for training program accounting staff to ensure financial reporting is carried out efficiently and in accordance with USAID regulations, and Winrock International policies and procedures and requirements. Ensures adherence to local law as regarding contracts, payments, payroll, taxes, human resource policies, and local reporting requirements. Reports to the Chief of Party, and coordinates with the Home Office Project Manager and Winrock’s Contracts Unit to obtain approvals from Winrock HQ as needed.
- Sets up and implements consistent processes and procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), USAID requirements, and Winrock procedures for all budgeting, accounting, sub-granting, sub-contracting, and procurement functions including: field payroll, field expense reporting, accounts payable, wire transfer requests, and bank account reconciliation, internal controls, and reporting – both internal and external.
- Provides input to adapt Winrock’s sub-grant pre-certification procedures, including sub-recipient questionnaire and review, in conformance with USAID regulations and policies, and local conditions in each country.
- Conducts annual performance evaluations of grant managers and accounting staff.
- Coordinates annual program budget preparation, analyzes monthly expenses and helps assure adherence to budget targets.
- Monitors financial management of sub-grantee funds by program partners to ensure that Winrock resources are utilized as agreed and are accurately reported.
- Coordinates audits (either annual audits or special audits as needed) of country offices, sub-grantees, and subcontractors.
- Sets up and supervises program administrative systems, including human resource management procedures, logistics, vehicle operation and maintenance.
- Ensures that human resource management policies and compensation conform with USAID regulations, Winrock policies and with national laws.
- Supervises program staff to ensures compliance with other USAID regulations, Winrock policies and national laws with respect to program property inventory and insurance; leasing of offices, housing and equipment; contracting for security, communications, IT and office services; employing local consultants; arranging local and international travel; and obtaining visas and other travel documentation for program staff and participants.
- Documents administrative policies and procedures, and their implementation, and supervises organization of program filing systems and information management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Equivalent of Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited institution. CPA and/or MBA or equivalents preferred.
- Senior-level professional experience with at least 8 years’ experience in accounting, and at least 5 years in a managerial position.
- Multi-site management, audit and program accounting experience preferred.
- Previous experience with implementation of donor-funded projects (experience with USAID projects, USAID results-oriented development strategies, and USAID regulations preferred).
- Previous experience in more than one country in the region preferred.
- Highly qualified and proficient with spreadsheet programs, word processing, computerized accounting, information system development, and auditing skills.
- Strong teambuilding skills and demonstrated effectiveness in teaching and mentoring financial management staff.
- Fluency in English is required. Expertise in local language is preferred.