About NYC Bike Share:
New York City's bike share system, Citi Bike, is a self-service system, stocked with thousands of bikes at hundreds of stations located throughout Brooklyn and Manhattan. Citi Bike is designed to be convenient, easy-to-use and affordable for New Yorkers and visitors alike, allowing members to pick up a bike close to home or work, ride, and then return it to any station in the system. Less than a year since the program opened, Citi Bike has proven wildly popular for New Yorkers to get around and visitors to explore the City.
Overview of Position:
Bicycle mechanics assist in the assembly, maintenance, and repair of our fleet of approximately 7,000 bicycles. Mechanics work under the guidance and supervision of Bicycle Fleet Service Manager and the Bicycle Fleet Operations Manager. This is a seasonal position which will run April - October.
Key Aspects of Position:
- Complete repairs in a professional and timely manner.
- Set a schedule and report for work as assigned.
- Respond to requests from your manager(s).
- Assist in maintaining an OSHA compliant workplace.
- Ensure that all necessary reporting is accurate, complete and timely.
- Keep a positive relationship with all co-workers.
- Other duties as assigned
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish NYC Bike Share’s Mission.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience in a professional bicycle repair setting a plus
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Adaptability – enthusiastically adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Dependability - Follow instructions; respond to management direction; communicate frequently; solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Passion for bikes, efficiency and sustainability.
- Interpersonal skills – maintain confidentiality; remain open to others' ideas; demonstrate patience and willingness to try new things. Proven technical and mechanical aptitude and innovation.
- Creativity - the individual actively seeks creative solutions, is inquisitive, and continuously seeks to improve all aspects of shop operations.
- This position may require bending, stooping, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- This position may require hours which exceed 8 hours per day.
NYC Bike Share is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
NYC Bike Share is a drug-free workplace.