Bicycle sharing is a sustainable, healthy, and community-based transport option that enhances urban livability and mobility. Capital Bikeshare currently operates with over 190 stations and 1600 bikes in Washington, DC, the City of Alexandria, VA and Arlington VA, with system expansion planned in both jurisdictions in 2013.
Through contracts with the Washington DC Department of Transportation (DDOT), the City of Alexandria, VA and Arlington County VA, Alta Bicycle Share is responsible for all “on the ground” aspects of Capital Bikeshare, including but not limited to: station and bike building and deployment, station and bike repair and maintenance, and bicycle redistribution.
- Interacts with customers and potential customers in public—represents Capital Bikeshare and Alta Bicycle Share responsibly and effectively
- Inspects and evaluates bicycles and bikeshare stations for safety, function, and cleanliness
- Performs routine bicycle maintenance and cleaning, and minor repairs as necessary
- Identifies and reports bicycles in need of in-house repair
- Performs routine station maintenance, and repairs as necessary
- Identifies, reports, and resolves, if possible, all station malfunctions and/or problems
- Uses communication and computer technology effectively to record all maintenance/repair activity
- Assists with station assembly and installation as necessary/assigned
- Retrieves bicycles tagged for in-house repair
- Receives training in all aspects of Capital Bikeshare operations, including:
- Bicycle maintenance and repair
- Station technology (hardware and software), maintenance and repair
- Basic customer service and public relations
- Other duties as necessary/assigned
Work environment varies, and will include the following:
- Riding a bicycle and/or driving a light truck alone or with other staff, to and among bike share station locations and other locations as necessary
- Industrial facility with indoor and outdoor work areas
- Exposure to varying weather conditions during all 4 seasons as this is a year-round position.