Bicycle sharing is a sustainable, healthy, and community-based transport option that enhances urban livability and mobility. Alta Bicycle Share operates approximately 1100 bikes at over 110 stations in the Boston, Cambridge, Somerville and Brookline area in 2013.
Alta Bicycle Share, on-the-ground operators of the Hubway bike sharing program is seeking an experienced Bicycle Service Technician to help with all aspects of bicycle assembly, maintenance, and repair. Training on technical and unique aspects of Hubway bikes will be provided. Bicycle Service Technicians will ride between stations to provide on the spot maintenance and technical assistance to help ensure the safe and efficient operation of the Hubway system.
Works alone or with other Street Team members under the guidance of the Bicycle Service Department Manager.
Rides a bicycle throughout city to check status and perform routine maintenance on bicycles.
Evaluates bike condition, and escalates issues, as needed.
Inspects bike stations for safety, operability, and cleanliness.
Works with Customer Service and Bike Service teams to ensure timely and productive workflows.
Some data entry, for inventory tracking purposes.
Keeps a positive relationship with all co-workers.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- High School diploma or equivalency.
- Passion for bikes, efficiency and sustainability.
- Must be able to start immediately with the ability to work various shifts, as assigned.
- Forecasted hours: Weekdays- 8am- 5pm.
- Comfort riding a bicycle in city traffic.
- Some bicycle mechanic experience.
- Basic knowledge of Boston geography/street layout.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Adaptability – enthusiastically adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Dependability - Follow instructions; respond to management direction; communicate frequently; solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Accountability- the individual will be working unsupervised for the majority of the time.
- May require bending, stooping, lifting up to 35 pounds.
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Alta Bicycle Share’s Mission.
Alta Bicycle Share is proud to be an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer.