Nature of Work
Acts as a both a liaison between the dentist and the employees, and the employees and the MCDC office. Oversees the responsibilities and duties of all the office personnel so that the office runs smoothly and efficiently. Develop positive working relationships and establish teamwork within the office. Oversees hiring, job ad placements, screening resumes and initial interviewing of candidates. Provide MCDC with accurate and timely documentation from the dental office operation. Performs a variety of duties for the dental office. Has the primary responsibility for maintaining the doctor’s schedule. Responsible for administrative functions (including assistance in billing, insurance, and accounts receivable), handling patient grievances, and coordinating the overall flow of the practice. Helps in promoting a safe, pleasant, and harmonious environment for all patients, staff, and the doctor. Act as a liaison between office, patients, and insurance companies. Present the financial aspect of treatment plans and options, and handles patient collections. Performs a variety of reception, secretarial, insurance, and data entry duties for patients in a stress-free, comfortable environment. Answer telephones, schedule appointments, handle patient finance, maintain patient records, and coordinate patient flow. Promote a safe, pleasant, and harmonious environment for staff, doctor, and patient. Monitor of patient reception areas for cleanliness and order. MCDC retains the right to revise the following job duties at any time. As part of the overall clinic team the Front Desk Personnel will assist all other staff members as required and available with their duties. Front Desk Personnel should review the job description of the Dental Assistant in this regard. Understand that the description below is not intended to be all inclusive.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Presentation of treatment and financial plans
- Review account receivables
- Meet with doctor concerning office production and efficiency
- Assist in maintaining the functioning of computer issues
- Submit necessary pre-determination
- Present MCDP/NDP when appropriate
- Initiate DAF requests with patient
- Oversee patient billing
- Greet patients on the telephone and in person
- Schedule and confirm appointments
- Set up new patient charts
- Check treatment cards and confirm that all appropriate information is included
- Review charges with patient and collect payments
- Input data into computer
- Assist in controlling inventory of front desk supplies
- Maintain re-care system
- In agreement with MCDC hire, train, coach, and evaluate support staff in a manner that adds meaning and value to each employee’s role within the dental office and assures individual success.
- Confer and cooperate with the Lead Dentist to assure coordination of activities.
- Provide outstanding customer service and maintain positive relationships, setting an example for the office team, with the goal to achieve no patient complaints.
- Provide leadership and develop sustaining relationships with the dentists in the office by facilitating communications between office staff, MCDC staff and senior management, with the objective to obtain low levels of team turnover, no team member complaints, and positive office harmony.
- Provide accurate and timely information, verbally and/or written, to the dentists, MCDC office and senior management as requested.
- Assign duties to support staff and monitor performance to assure adherence to MCDC policies and established operating procedures.
- Responsible for completing the following administrative functions in an accurate and timely manner: work with MCDC team in human resources paperwork and coordinate with MCDC office to manage temporary and float staff.
- Become knowledgeable in dental assistant duties to assist and fill in as required for dental assistants.
- Resolve administrative issues related to insurance, billing, etc.
- Fill in on performing administrative duties during staff absences
- Ensure adequate office supply levels
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Willingness and ability to foster a team environment by displaying a willing attitude to assist all others in getting the job done and accomplishing the mission of the organization.
- Exceptional human relation skills
- Ability to work with people of all ages
- Ability to handle conflicts and get along with people
- Report patient comfort as a top priority
- Ability to maintain outgoing, friendly attitude with patients and staff even under pressure
- Ability to work with interruptions and to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor at all times
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with interruptions
- Ability to complete tasks within the required time frame
- Ability to speak, understand, and write grammatically correct English
- Multiple phone lines
- Efficient with numbers
- Fax Machine
- Microsoft Word & Excel
- VeriFone for VISA/MC
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts
- Ability to read and interpret documents
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions
A high school education or equivalent in experience.
Experience in a dental office with an understanding of the electronic patient scheduling process preferred.
Again, the primary job position will drive the environment factors associated with this job. The additional responsibilities may require travel periodically to handle duties that cannot be performed in the clinic setting.
Additional Essential Functions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear; taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Advisement and Approval
"The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified."
"For purposes of Employment Standards, this classification is "Exempt" from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act"
The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to company policies.
I have read and understand this explanation of the job description and what is expected of me in this position.