Nature of Work
Under the direction of Clinic Administrator, Regional Clinic Administrator, and the Chief Operating Officer, the Dentist delivers diagnostic, preventative, restorative and surgical dental care services to patients; oversees the work of auxiliary dental staff; oversees prudent operation of the Dental Clinic(s) to ensure adherence to established policies and procedures, appropriate maintenance of equipment, appropriate control of inventory of dental supplies and appropriate adherence to safety and infection control protocols; communicates effectively with patients, parents and clinical staff to explain dental services and promote a positive image of MCDC; oversees the production of patient records in compliance with program policies.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides quality dental services to eligible patients with skill, care and judgment.
- Participates in appointment making and referral of patients to assure dental clinic productivity and appropriate management of dental patients.
- Documents in the patient’s medical records appropriately regarding all diagnostics, treatment plans and services delivered according to relevant MCDC policies and procedures.
- Communicates dental treatment information to patients, parents and clinical staff in a clear, compassionate, and effective manner.
- Oversees auxiliary dental staff in their appropriate management of equipment and supplies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extremely strong interpersonal and communication skills are required for this position. Competencies include:
- Exceptional human relation skills
- Ability to maintain outgoing, friendly attitude with patients and staff even if under pressure
- Ability to work with interruptions and to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to speak, understand and write fluent English
- Ability to meet deadlines and work unsupervised
- Exceptional verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Possess physical ability and eye sight to be able to practice dentistry in a competent manner
- Ability to tolerate and work with young children, even though they may be uncooperative
- Ability to communicate effectively dental treatment information to patients, parents and staff
The Dentist must be competent in using common office equipment. There is an expectation for everyone in the organization to learn and implement new office technology as the operation grows and can benefit from more productive systems.
Must have a Dental degree (e.g., Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or equivalent) from an accredited School of Dentistry.
Demonstration of skilled care and judgment in the practice of dentistry through at least one year successful practice of dentistry.
Again, the primary job position will drive the environment factors associated with this job. The additional responsibilities may require travel periodically to handle duties that cannot be performed in the clinic setting.
Additional Essential Functions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear; taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Advisement and Approval
"The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified."
"For purposes of Employment Standards, this classification is "Exempt" from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act"
The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to company policies.
I have read and understand this explanation of the job description and what is expected of me in this position.