What We Do:
At the SEI Emerging Technology Center, we describe our work as “making the recently possible mission-practical.” We help our government customers stay at the leading edge of technology by identifying, demonstrating, extending, and applying emerging software technologies to solve real government problems. We currently work in the fields of human-machine interaction, applied artificial intelligence and machine learning, and advanced computing—areas that are changing and progressing rapidly. As we show our customers how new technologies can improve their mission capabilities through rapid prototyping and iterative development, we both rely on and shape academic and industrial research.
Are you creative, curious, energetic, collaborative, technology-focused, and hard-working? Are you interested in making a difference by bringing innovation to government organizations and beyond? Apply to join our team.
Position Summary: As a Technical Manager on our team, you will lead and manage our team and portfolio of projects (with a focus on project execution and the development of the SEI ETC team).
- BS in computer science, software engineering, machine learning, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with at least a eight (8) years of applicable experience OR MS or higher in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with five (5) years applicable experience OR PhD in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with two (2) years of applicable experience.
- Willingness to travel to Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C., sponsor sites, conferences, and other meetings. Moderate (20-40%) travel outside of your home location.
- Movement between buildings within the SEI and CMU community required.
- You will be subject to a background investigation and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Advanced Technology Experience: You have broad experience and knowledge of leading-edge technologies and have demonstrated contributions to advanced technology developments. You have worked on areas related to machine learning, artificial intelligence, advanced computing, human-computer interaction, computer vision, machine emotional intelligence, or augmented and virtual reality. You are familiar with tools, software, and programming languages associated with your field.
- Project and Portfolio Leadership and Management: You will oversee and lead a portfolio of novel research in rapidly advancing technical fields such as human-machine interaction, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and advanced computing.
- Talent Development and Management: You will help identify, recruit, retain, mentor, and develop a high-caliber, interdisciplinary team developing advanced technology solutions for important and high-impact needs.
- Customer and Innovation Community Engagement: You will engage with customers and stakeholders. You will represent the Center’s regularly presenting our mission and our work to customers and stakeholders. You will build and maintain relationships with the DoD innovation ecosystem including relevant research and technology communities.
- Delivery Process, Practice, and Infrastructure: You will identify, experiment with, and implement, improvements to how we execute our work, engage our customers, develop our people, and function as a leading-edge technology development lab.
- Collaboration: You'll actively participate on teams of software developers, researchers, designers, and technical leads. You'll collaborate with researchers and our government customers to understand challenges, needs, and possible solutions. You'll contribute to improving the overall technical capabilities of the Center by mentoring and teaching others, participating in design (software and otherwise) sessions, and sharing insights and wisdom across the SEI.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication and Collaboration: You are an exceptional communicator and can interact collaboratively and diplomatically with customers and colleagues at all levels of experience and knowledge. You grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort while having the natural ability to dig into the details on problems and technical concepts and provide clear direction. You can present complex ideas to people who may not have a deep understanding of the subject area.
- Dedication and Motivation: You can meet deadlines while multi-tasking–sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities. You are self-motivated and can work toward a common vision with little oversight.
- Creativity and Innovation: You are creative and curious, and you are inspired by the prospect of collaborating with premier researchers and visionaries at Carnegie Mellon University and innovation-focused organizations. You quickly learn new procedures, techniques, and approaches. You are forward-looking and can connect research with practical challenges.
- Knowledge and Learning: You possess broad technical interests along with a deep knowledge of a particular field such as human-computer interaction, data analytics and machine learning, advanced computing, and autonomy and artificial intelligence.
- People Development and Management: You have experience building and developing strong, interdisciplinary technical teams. You can build on practical management experience to find creative and high-impact people and team management practices. You know your leadership style and have experience mentoring, empowering, and building people.
- Managing in a Creative, Dynamic Environment: You have experience managing multiple simultaneous projects and thrive in a creative and high-energy environment. You are willing to experiment with new management practices and develop effective processes, practices, and infrastructure to support successful people and projects.
- Technical Leadership and Project Management: You have a successful track record of leading, managing, and executing projects in software development, applied research, advanced technology development. You know what it takes to build technology solutions for hard problems. You are user-centered and accomplishment focused driving projects and the people that work on projects to successful, high-impact outcomes.
- Customer and User Focused: You have a passion for understanding real-world problems and driving projects to find meaningful high-impact solutions to customer and user problems.
- Innovation-Minded: You have an interest and awareness of technology trends and opportunities. You are familiar with technical challenges and emerging trends.
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.