What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Facilities Services fulfills all SEI office work environment operational needs including maintenance, online requests, space layout, moves, supply receiving/delivery, mail receiving/shipping, building concerns and lease development and execution.
Are you looking to be a part of a world-class organization? We are currently looking for an Equipment Technician to join our growing team. This position will perform routine maintenance, troubleshooting, and installation for various equipment and furniture items throughout the SEI facilities. Responsibilities include the follow through on various projects relating to furniture and equipment such as the assembly and maintenance of equipment and furniture items, repairing general building hardware, assembling furniture and paneling systems. You will work with the Space and Furniture Coordinator and Supervisor to ensure proper use of existing furniture inventory. This position is responsible for operational and service support at the Bakery Square location.
- High School Diploma or equivalent combination of technical school training and experience
- Licenses: Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
- Movement between buildings within the SEI and CMU community required
- This position will subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance
Performs work with general supervision from the Facilities Operations Supervisor. Most normal duties and responsibilities are handled independently with the use of established procedures and policies. Difficult or rare situations are referred to the supervisor.
- Training room and conference maintenance
- Troubleshoot equipment and furniture issues
- Back-up to other Facilities Services positons
- Responsible for operational support needs at Bakery Square location
- Orders and stocks coffee, tea and kitchens supplies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skills to work independently and use initiative to resolve problems, diagnose and make needed repairs, operate general power tools: knowledge of general computer skills
- You will report to the Facilities Operations Supervisor. You will be required to act as a team leader on special projects and will be responsible for the completion of assigned work with in specified time constraints
- Ability to push, pull and lift furniture, equipment, etc. as needed; carry necessary tools; stand for long periods of time; climb steps or ladders, stoop, reach, bend at the waist and grasp objects. Be able to lift 50 pounds
- Pay attention to details and meet deadlines; ability to take care of difficult or demanding individuals; use reasoning to tackle maintenance related problems
- Makes decisions or recommendations that are in the best interest of the facilities operation and provide the highest level of customer service
Environmental Conditions: May have to endure weather conditions when traveling from each office location, equipment may be housed and repaired in dusty, damp and crowded conditions. Some warehouse work.
Job Function Breakdown:
45% Stocking and delivery of coffee, tea, sugar, creamers, paper towels and cups to all Pittsburgh locations. Keep an inventory of all coffee and tea products. Order coffee and tea products when stock is low. Stocking and ordering of office paper to all Pittsburgh locations. Provide escorting services to all Pittsburgh locations.
10% Install, assemble, and modify furniture throughout all SEI facilities. Furniture is primary Steelcase and Herman Miller. Set up of offices for moves and new hires. Move of office content and belongings for SEI staff. Review of office and conference room configurations, maintain office keys and desk keys, office nameplates and supply deliveries according to new hire and moves listings.
20% Maintain and update the facilities records including accurate records of requested and completed work, repairs, and supply needs. This information will be tracked primarily through the online SEI Facilities Request System and Facilities Management System. Assist with other facilities operations as needed.
15% Review of office and conference room configurations, and supply deliveries according to new hire and moves listings. Resolving various problems such as setting up, maintaining and installing various equipment and furniture items throughout the SEI facilities for all SEI staff members.
10% Miscellaneous duties as assigned and back-up to other Facilities Services positions.
100% total effort
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.