What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
As an Application Engineer, you be responsible for building, implementing, and maintaining web-based applications that power our knowledge management platform, enterprise software development platform, and several internet-facing services. This includes providing technical and application support to end users.
Here’s an idea of the kind of tasks you’d be working on:
- Building, operating, and maintaining applications such as Atlassian Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket.
- Consulting with internal project teams to understand their specific needs and make suggestions and recommendations on how to configure and use the applications you support to address those needs.
- Providing end-user support to field requests and resolve problems.
- Keeping up-to-date and maintaining expert understanding of applications.
This small team has a big job for its size. You will use your experience as a highly motivated, creative, and versatile information technology professional to not only manage several applications, but periodically roll up your sleeves and collaborate with other teams on new initiatives and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent combination of training and experience
- 3 years of experience securing, operating, and maintaining enterprise applications and internet-facing web-based information systems
- Experience as a user and administrator of Atlassian applications
- Experience with Windows and Linux server operating systems
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion (5%)
- Evening and weekend hours may be required in order to meet production deadlines or handle maintenance windows outside normal business hours
- Participate in an on call after hour’s rotation for user support with average call volume of 3-5 calls/week
- You will be to background check and must be eligible to obtain a Department of Defense security clearance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working understanding of web service protocols and superb script writing (e.g., Python, Bash) skills.
- Ability to collaborate across functional teams to achieve desired outcomes
- Excellent analytics, organizational, reasoning, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to interact effectively with customers, especially in requirements gathering
- Knowledge of Linux systems in the areas of security, performance tuning, and troubleshooting
- Proficient knowledge of client server environments, networking, and client operating systems
- Comfortable working with tight deadlines across multiple projects
- Operates with transparency and integrity, and welcomes feedback
- Master’s degree in information technology, engineering, computer sciences, or related discipline
- 3 years of experience managing Atlassian applications such as Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket
- Certified in administering one or more Atlassian applications
- Experience managing a development stack that supports a DevOps community
- Extensive experience in designing deploying, securing, administering, and troubleshooting multiple complex, multi-tier web application systems that require high availability
- Experience with MySQL Server and Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with DevOps tools such as Jenkins, Puppet, Nagios, and Docker
- Familiarity with virtualized infrastructure environments
- Experience packaging and deploying software with tools like Puppet or Chef
- Solid understanding of security/access control, scalability, high availability, and concurrency patterns
- Flexibility and creativity in solution design including leveraging emerging technologies
Job Function Breakdown:
45% Maintain and evolve enterprise and internet-facing web applications and services
35% Provide technical assistances to users and project teams
10% Maintenance, troubleshooting, and upgrading other services
5% Other duties as assigned
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.