What We Do: The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Position Summary: The individual in this position will work as a member of the IT staff. The primary responsibilities may include:
- Configure new desktops to replace old, out-of-warranty machines
- Assist with physical inventory of computing assets. This includes disposal of hard drives, tapes, and computing assets.
- Assist the Developer team with developing scripts and write code to automate processes and for reporting
- Assist the Infrastructure team with racking and routine operational tasks
- Assist the Networking team with several different networking projects
- Troubleshoot user software and hardware problems
- Answer help desk phone as needed
- High School Education and additional college course work in the computing field
- Enrolled in a degree granting program
- Willingness to travel within the SEI and CMU community
- You will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to work in the United States without Visa sponsorship
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to interact with other IT teams
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records
- Working knowledge of desktop operating systems and common tools including email clients and web browsers
- Proficiency in a programming language
- Basic understanding of networking concepts and fundamentals
- Basic knowledge of Windows operating system and Office applications
- Able to lift and carry desktop computers and related peripherals
- Additional course work, seminars, workshops, etc., in computer technology and or/applications
- Software or hardware certification such as from Microsoft is a plus
- Advanced technical knowledge of desktop operating skills and common technology such as networking, email computer security, and web applications; good customer service and communication skills
Job Function Breakdown:
100% assist ITS teams as needed with tickets, office moves, computer builds, physical inventory, install software, record keeping, update user documentation, providing additional help desk coverage
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.