What We Do:
At the SEI, we work in a dynamic environment that relies on having the right tools and information at our fingertips. The Enterprise Business Systems MIS team manages a suite of web applications that organize key business processes that link employees to the request and approval system's that they need to do their job more effectively and be compliant with contractual obligations. As we continue to grow, our Front-End Developers play a significant role in furthering our code standards, ensuring the highest code quality and best user experience possible in coordination with designers, user experience strategists, and software engineers.
As a member of the team, this position works collaboratively across the organization to identify key business challenges and collaborate with team members to build enterprise solutions that are reliable, scalable, and provide a great user experience.
This position participates in the full lifecycle of application development with a primary focus on front end web development. Key responsibilities include collaborating with stakeholders to understand business processes, designing and implementing systems that meet those requirements, and shepherding the system throughout its lifecycle with other IT groups.
- Bachelor's degree in information systems or computer science, or equivalent combination of training and experience plus three (3) to five (5) years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel daily to various buildings within the CMU community.
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Here's an idea of the kind of tasks you'd be working on:
- Keeping up with the latest trends in front-end development
- Opportunities to expand through mentoring and collaboration with designers, user experience strategists, engineers, and writers
- Code reviews and peer support
- Uphold internal coding standards and help further those standards
- Integrating with other teams throughout the company to help development of front end solutions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Agile methodologies
- Writing test cases, test scripts, and performing unit, functional, and integration testing
- Git and source code management concepts such as branching, pull requests, and merging
- Developing cross-platform and cross-browser compatible solutions
- Creating self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components
- Modern query and/or data interchange formats such as JSON and XML
- Master's degree in information systems or computer science
- Three years of experience with collaboration/tracking tools like JIRA, Confluence, and Stash
- Three years of experience with continuous integration environments and tools such as Bamboo or Jenkins
- Three years of experience with Node.js
- Experience coding applications that include an SQL-based database component
- Experience creating robust testing suites to perform automated functional and regression testing with tools such as CasperJS, Puppeteer and Selenium
- Three years of experience researching, identifying, evaluating, and recommending technical solutions to solve business problems
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server database and/or Rest-based services
- Experience providing effective technical leadership on impactful projects involving customers / sponsor stakeholders
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
50% Web Development - Design, develop, test, and implement technical solutions that support the portfolio of web applications maintained by the team. Collaborate with business teams, architects, and developers to understand high-level requirements and translate those into functional web applications in collaboration with other team members. Design and develop applications in adherence with standards for code, design, performance, quality, security, and corporate policies. Define, conduct, and participate in testing including debugging and development walkthroughs. Assist in developing recommendations for future development, releases, and enhancements.
35% Maintenance and Support - Troubleshoot and resolve problems with vendor products or in-house development applications. Adhere to change management practices and communicate changes and impact to those affected. Share knowledge and information with others and perform customer outreach to increase user adoption and collect feedback. Respond to outages and develop relationships with customers to accelerate user adoption and collect feedback.
15% Technical Leadership - Take accountability for your own commitments, team deliverables, and overall team success. Recognize and escalate quality, deadline, or deliverables issues. Provide technical leadership in the adoption and development of software engineering procedures, standards, and methods. Partner with internal teams to improve internal business processes. Participate in knowledge sharing activities with peers to increase knowledge of software development practices.
100% TOTAL EFFORT
Please visit 'Why Carnegie Mellon' to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.