What We Do:The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Position Summary: This position provides executive administrative support to the Managing and Deputy Director of the CERT Division within the SEI. Duties include handling the complex scheduling of the Directors time and ensuring that both are kept on schedule and appropriately briefed with relevant materials for meetings. This position will also handle all travel itineraries and assist with coordinating visits by customers, including individuals from government, corporate and academic organizations. Key components of this position are handling meeting agendas, preparing materials for meetings, writing meeting minutes, preparing and proofreading correspondence and other documents, coordinating participation in external events including logistics, and serving as liaison to SEI senior management, Carnegie Mellon top executives, and other VIPs. This position works on special projects when necessary, handles physical mail and answers telephones and greets visitors.
- BS with five (5) to eight (8) year of applicable experience.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion.
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- You will be able to handle sensitive telephone contacts and distribute mail and follow-up on action items and take an active role and participate on university/SEI committees and teams.
- You will maintain the highest level of confidentiality and be able to exercise professional discretion.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong administrative skills with particular emphasis on excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- You will be oriented toward teamwork and providing excellent service.
- Excellent organizational, time management and calendar management skills; work autonomously, handle multiple tasks, meet inflexible deadlines, and handle confidential information.
- Ability to handle electronic files.
- You will have PC skills and be familiar with the following applications: Calendar Management Systems (e.g., Corporate Time), Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with databases, web authoring tool (i.e., Dreamweaver) and the Oracle Financial System also desired.
- Ability to work with inflexible deadlines and changing priorities and pay close.
- Attention to detail. Excellent judgment and the ability to handle multiple tasks and shift priorities quickly. Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- A strong work ethic, the ability to assume responsibility, be self-directed and willingness to work long hours and some weekends as needed are a requirement.
- One to three years experience supporting a senior administrator or executive, as is the demonstrated ability to take initiative, be flexible, remain calm and thrive in a dynamic environment.
Job Function Breakdown:
35% Act as a liaison for the Directors when working with the SEI management staff, University departments and external customers. Serve as point of contact for inquiries to the Directors, including sensitive and highly confidential information. Has frequent contact with high-level executives both internally and externally.
30% Maintain complex calendars, prioritize and coordinate meetings, gather and disseminate all meeting material, open and screen and respond to mail while maintaining confidentiality. Handle all travel itineraries.
10% Assist in crafting and maintaining presentations. Serve as custodian of on-line versions of presentations and meeting notes.
15% Take independent action to complete any outstanding action items that can be completed without input from the Directors.
5% Maintain accurate filing system for the Directors and assume other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
100% TOTAL EFFORT
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.