What We Do:
The CERT Division is part of the SEI, a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We engage in state of the art research and development and develop and transition focused approaches to improve the survivability and resiliency of the DoD, federal civilian agencies, private sector organizations and their networked information systems.
A CERT Project Manager is a member of the CERT Delivery Management team that guides the development and execution of technical projects throughout the lifecycle. You will work closely with PMO Manager to plan and establish PMO processes to achieve needs of different departments. You will develop project management processes and build improvement plans to meet business and project needs, perform administrative and PM duties, and be responsible for the management and completion of projects. Activities will include oversight of all aspects of projects, setting deadlines, assigning responsibilities, monitoring progress, and producing reports for management. This position may include supervision of one of more Project Administrators.
- Master’s in Business Administration or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems or related field or combination of training and experience.
- Certifications (preferred): PMI certification, Certified Scrum Master, PMI-ACP, Certified Scrum Professional, CISM, CISSP, or equivalent.
- Five to eight (5-8) years of project management experience with customer-focused technology projects such as product or service development, research and development or technical transition.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. You will travel to the offices in Pittsburgh, PA; Arlington, VA; and customer sites in the Washington D.C. / Northern Virginia metro area. Moderate travel (10%)
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Process development and continuous improvement
- Build a systematic management approach for projects in alignment with the organization’s strategic business goals
- Improve consistency in project management throughout the organization to promote teamwork and mobility
- Increase teamwork, ease administration, and align with customer needs
- Implement feedback, direct experience, and new opportunities to improve and expand the capabilities of the project management office
- Craft project plans and in conjunction with the technical lead, direct and monitor the work
- Design and build status reports for CERT management and government program managers
- Interface directly with customers and external partners on project progress, risks, cost, and funding status
- Work with teams to produce cost estimates, schedules, and financial reporting artifacts
- Develop WBS, prioritize tasks, and groom backlog
- Facilitate sprint planning, standups, sprint reviews, and retrospectives
- Guide researchers and engineers in planning & tracking of deliverables in support of customer expectations
- Provide financial management for individual projects and a team’s portfolio of projects to ensure planned work and planned costs are accurate and acceptable
- Understand and communicate cost and schedule constraints to team
- Assist in leading the activities of employees and subcontractors who serve on the project team to ensure completion and acceptance of deliverables
- Inform and gather resource allocation decisions for contending priorities across the organization
- Resolve or raise risks related to cost, quality, and schedule
- Develop good working relationships and close collaboration with technical leads and partners
- Project Tools Administrator
- Use Atlassian tool suite, specifically Confluence and JIRA for handling project information
- Develop Kanban boards, Sprint Reports, Epic Reports, and Velocity Charts
- Build reports using Oracle BI and eazyBI
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working understanding of Confluence and JIRA
- Analytical and technical problem-solving skills
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure with changing priorities
- Attention to detail
- Ability to meet inflexible deadlines
- Ability to deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure
- Ability to perform under minimal supervision
- Ability to accurately represent the program and individual projects in interactions with internal branches, customers and sponsors
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
30% Project Manager, Scrum Master, Agile Facilitator
15% Process development and continuous improvement
30% Financial & Customer Management
15% Participating in business development, CERT management, and sponsor meetings.
10% Develop knowledge and understanding of SEI capabilities; learning how SEI capabilities can be applied to customer problems.
100% total effort
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.