What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Are you an enthusiastic customer-focused individual looking to work for an organization that is changing the world? Are you an effective problem solver interested in creating an inclusive, cooperative, dynamic culture? Do you enjoy building trusting partnerships with all facets of an organization? The SEI may be the right place for you. We are currently looking for an Associate Talent Engagement Advisor to join our Talent Management team. In this role, you will:
- Partner with the Talent Engagement team to work with assigned customer groups to provide employee relations service by building trusted partnerships
- Provide consultation and support to employees, managers, and leaders within their groups to ensure standard methodologies are being applied to employment matters
- Develop, contribute to, and implement process management for broader initiatives and programs such as employee onboarding, employee off boarding, promotional processes, HR Help inquiries, ongoing recognition programs and immigration
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-3 years of experience with employee relations
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI's overall mission(5%). This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. Ability to travel periodically to Arlington and other offices
- You will be subject to a background check
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience handling employee relations with a high level of customer service
- Established ability to quickly shift focus and prioritze efficiently
- Proven capacity to discretely handle sensitive information
- Demonstrated experience partnering with customers to develop HR solutions and successfully supporting employees with HR related issues
- Ability to handle high stress situations with grace and composure
- Previous success managing processes and projects through their full lifecycle
- Exhibited intermediate level proficiency with Excel – must be comfortable with Pivot Tables, Vlookups and creating formulas
- 3-5 years of experience strongly preferred
- PHR or SHRM-CP certification preferred
Job Function Breakdown:
50% Employee relations: Work with managers and employees to provide guidance on policies and practices that align with the SEI’s values and goals. This includes working with leadership to guarantee adherence with laws and policy, managing employee changes from beginning through completion, and working with management and campus to provide solutions and recommendations on job descriptions, job changes and employment arrangements. Work with campus partners and manager to recommend compensation changes and guide talent engagement matters.
30% Process Management and Improvement: With leadership from the Talent Engagement Manager, ongoing recognition programs including AJ process management; implement and run established onboarding process; administer immigration process; handle promotion processes (MTS, graded). Lead HR Help function, referring questions to appropriate HR staff and responding in a timely manner.
15% Project Management: Lead ad hoc projects related to process documentation, systems, templates and forms, and employee relations.
5% Other: Other duties as assigned, including HR projects, events, etc.
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.