Who We Are: You will work within the Security Automation Directorate of the CERT Division of the Software Engineering Institute (SEI). The SEI is a federally funded research and development center on the campus of Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. CERT engages with the US Government, mainly the defense and intelligence sectors, to research, develop, apply and transition complex cybersecurity solutions. CERT generates some of the highest level of original research and takes on many of the most complex problems facing cybersecurity for the US Government. You will be part of a team that is thoughtfully engaged with its clients involved in emerging technology gaps and passionately solving problems to migrate solutions to our clients.
- You have excellent cyber security technical skills
- You can communicate clearly to operators, engineers, and senior leaders
- You want to help secure the nation and its critical infrastructure from cyber-attack
- You have experience with the full software development process, including Agile practices, and participated in various aspects of the DoD acquisition lifecycle
We have expertise in all phases of cyber security: security requirements definition, security systems engineering, secure DevOps, secure coding, vulnerability testing & discovery, endpoint assessment, malware reverse engineering, network security analysis, and policy. We work on groundbreaking security problems facing the nation. As a member of our team you will be responsible for:
- Engineering techniques related to security
- Participating in the larger security community internal to CERT and externally giving presentations and attending conferences
- Representing your expertise and the work of the whole organization to our sponsors
- Engineering cyber related software applications and systems to improve the capabilities of our customers and to provide unbiased technical advice and feedback to various program offices as they progress through the DoD acquisition lifecycle
- Participating in all phases of the software and systems engineering lifecycles, and will be involved in key decisions regarding software design and technology selection, architecture and design of cyber-resilient and cyber-secure systems with the ability to reach back to cyber security experts within the SEI
- Supporting coordination of efforts and relationships across programs at the site, as well as provide a forward-looking vision for possible future/follow-on work
- BS in computer science / computer engineering or related discipline with ten (10) years of related experience, or a master degree with eight (8) years of related experience
- You can travel both locally and remotely to sponsor sites to give presentations and attend meetings (20-40%)
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance
- Experience as a software engineer working on software applications in a professional environment utilizing software development tools such as version control systems and bug tracking systems; working knowledge of agile software development practices and team design sessions
- Experience with developing system architectures (particularly DoDAF/UAF)
- Familiarity with modern database design and architectures
- A working understanding of cyber security related concepts and associated techniques
- Familiarity with automated testing and validation techniques, and the Risk Management Framework (RMF)
- Willingness to learn new skills and technologies as necessary
- A dream to pursue meaningful problems through technical innovation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Job Function Breakdown:
60% - Engineering research, analysis, and validation activities
30% - Represent the SEI’s overall work to sponsor, assembles requirements, provides status, and coordinates efforts associated with sponsor’s work across the SEI
10% - Engages various communities presenting the work of the SEI and contributing to the broader software engineering and cyber security community
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.