What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Position Summary: The CERT Division is part of the SEI, a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The CERT Division engages in cutting-edge research and development and develops and transitions disciplined approaches to improve the survivability and resiliency of the DoD, federal civilian agencies, private sector organizations and their networked information systems.
The individual in this position will work as a member of the Cybersecurity Assurance (CA) Team within the CERT Division. The CA team develops solutions (in the form of frameworks, models, tools, policies, practices, technical guidance, and training) that allow organizations to assess, analyze, and manage organizational, operational, and technical risks to mission-critical assets, processes, systems, and infrastructures.
- BS in computer science or a related field of study with at least a ten (10) years of applicable experience OR MS in computer science or a related field of study with eight (8) years applicable experience. MS preferred.
- Certifications: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), and/or Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) and/or Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support to the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings
- Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Professional experience as an information security engineer, network security architect, information systems auditor, information systems analyst, or similarly technical occupation.
Experience with and applied knowledge in:
- Common risk and cybersecurity assessment methods
- Data analytics and cybersecurity metrics
- Cybersecurity laws, regulations, and standards
- Common network security architectures
- Common networking protocols and services
- Cyber security, survivability, and resilience concepts and issues
- Software and systems engineering
- Building and maintaining customer relationships
- Strategic Planning and requirements definition
- Process improvement
- Program planning, budgeting, and management
Must exhibit the following skills and abilities:
- Understanding of information technology, security assessment methods, and telecommunications systems
- Working knowledge of network interoperability, cyber security, and survivability issues, including cyber security best practices and standards
- Working knowledge of DHS critical infrastructure sectors and related security and resilience issues
- Working knowledge of the DoD and federal agency resilience needs and cyber security roadmaps
- Development and delivery of information and infrastructure security risk and vulnerability evaluations
- Ability to conduct analytical studies and investigations
- Reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse constituencies internally and externally
- Ability to work well as a member of a cooperative team; ability to work in a matrix organizational structure
- Ability to recognize and deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to implement project plans, monitor project budgets, and identify and mitigate project risks
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to contribute to technical research white papers and reports; ability to prepare papers and deliver presentations to technical and non-technical audiences; ability to contribute to customer technical exchanges and marketing presentations
- Ability to work on customer sites with high-ranking members of federal agencies and DoD
- Participation in professional society activities, particularly IEEE and ACM
Strong interest in the human, managerial, and technical aspects of cyber security is critical for this position as are these abilities:
- Take or share leadership role in technical projects
- Work meticulously with careful attention to detail
- Meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks – sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities
- Deal collaboratively, diplomatically, and successfully with customers, co-workers and other professional colleagues, managers, and staff
- Ability to understand the direction, and goals of an effort; ability to develop and communicate innovative ideas; ability to demonstrate initiative and to quickly learn new procedures, techniques, approaches, etc.
- Expert experience in risk and cybersecurity assessment methods
- Advanced knowledge of network security architectures
- Expert knowledge in cybersecurity laws, regulations, and standards
- Expert experience in data analytics and cybersecurity metrics
- Experience with common penetration testing toolsets (Metasploit framework, vulnerability scanners, web application scanners, Nmap
- Experience with common penetration testing methodologies and tactics (PTES, OWASP testing guide, etc.)
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
60% Participate in cybersecurity assessments operating in a technical leadership role; analyze assessment data to identify risk areas and propose mitigation alternatives.
15% Participate in research into innovative and cutting-edge tools, techniques, and methods to improve cybersecurity and operational resilience; transition research into applied knowledge for customers.
10% Deliver courses in operational resilience management, cybersecurity management, and information security risk management
5% Contribute to conferences and meetings; participate in marketing calls and technical exchanges with clients; give talks and lectures as appropriate; participate on working groups for subjects of interest.
5% Contribute to and review the literature in cyber security, resilience, and software engineering.
5% Provide assistance and input to other teams and projects within the SEI.
100% Total Effort
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.