What We Do
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time. We are seeking an engineer with passion for helping government customers on critical software systems.
This position is for technical staff with background in embedded software development and cyber resilient concepts to create integrated solutions for CTSD customers. The individual will be responsible for the technical leadership of multiple customer engagements while leading a team of software engineers that are focused on providing CTSD customers with full lifecycle support for embedded software resilient systems. The position requires that an individual translates customer needs into software system requirements, identifying development methodologies and project achievements. Additionally, a software engineering background is needed for the purposes of integrating multiple engineering techniques into resilient software product development.
- BS or higher in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with at least a ten (10) years of applicable experience OR MS or higher in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with eight (8) years applicable experience.
- Understanding of all aspects of the end-to-end software lifecycle, development methodologies, application tools, techniques and processes.
- Experience designing systems to deal with faults, cyber threat activity or anomalous behavior within operational software systems.
- Experience leading one or more software project teams, creating the technical vision, establishing project achievements and fostering an environment of collaborative ideation for solving novel problems or challenges.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion.
- Subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Key activities include:
- Understanding customer software engineering challenges in continuous software development, integration or deployment technologies and identifying tailored or integrated solutions
- Collaborate with researchers and other SEI teams to establish education and other transition support mechanisms to educate and facilitate the application of DevOps principles on client DoD and government programs
- Lead and/or participate on teams that improve performance, mission assurance, and predictability of acquisition, evolution and operations of software-reliant systems
- Coordinate closely with staff across the SEI to deliver software engineering technology and expertise to DOD customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Embedded software engineering experience including relevant software development tools, practices and technologies
- Knowledge of software and cyber engineering fundamentals: requirements development and management, architecture techniques that enhance software resiliency, process improvement methodologies, software assurance coding, and cybersecurity methodologies
- Understanding of security risks and mitigation approaches in computer systems, networks, and database applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to present to high visibility partners internal and external to the organization
- Program and software project management skills including collaborating with clients, developing proposals and establishing relationships with new DoD and/or government clients
- Ability to lead and participate in multidisciplinary teams
Experience as a software developer working on software applications including demonstrated experience in five (5) or more of the following software activities:
- Experience with software engineering processes including requirements, architecture and design, program and acquisition management, performance improvement, assurance, and/or security, model based engineering (MBE, MDE, MDSE, etc), test, certification, etc.
- Understanding of government acquisition policy and DoD acquisition guidance
- COTS/GOTS product evaluation and integration
- Hands on experience in an Ops/Devops role with emphasis on deploying and leading environments in cloud platforms(AWS, Azure or similar)
- At least 3 years software programming experience like C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Bash, Ruby etc.
- Active CISSP certification with appropriate amount experience handling DoD/USG networks
- Directing mitigation and response actions for the technical implications of cyber intrusions on physical systems
- Agile methods, DevOps or continuous software integration and deployment
- SDLC tool expertise, e.g. Maven, Jenkins, Ant, docker, etc.
- Virtualization technologies and analysis of systems for migration to virtual machine environments
- Configuration management tool familiarity, e.g. ClearCase, SVN, Git, Chef/puppet, etc
Job Function Breakdown
85% - Tech Lead - Participate as a leader or member of dynamic technical teams in support of government acquisition programs
10% - Staff Leadership - Identify and support the implementation strategies for the collection and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses, and blog entries).
5% - Other - Duties as assigned by the responsible Director, or Deputy Director
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.