What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
This position within the Software Engineering Institute (SEI) will be physically located in Pittsburgh, PA as part of customer support team providing software engineering expertise to multiple Department of Defense (DoD) programs. This position will support the Software Engineering Institute’s (SEI) mission by working with these government programs to understand their challenges, identifying actionable solutions, and guiding programs to operationalize the most effective techniques and practices.
If you are an engineer passionate about improving the ability to deliver high quality, high-demand systems, and you are committed to researching new ideas to bring innovation to government, then this is the position for you.
- BS or higher in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with five (5) to eight (8) years of applicable experience.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion.
- Travel on overnight assignments, occasionally for several days.
- Subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Will be required to work with government program offices to identify strengths and weaknesses within the acquisition program and their contractor base and build solutions to address the weaknesses and recognize and support the strengths
- At ease leading and supervising others.
Key activities include:
- Understanding customer software engineering challenges in continuous software development, integration or deployment technologies and identifying tailored or integrated solutions
- Applying, adapting, integrating, verifying and transitioning the SEI body of research to improve DOD program software engineering activities
- Collaborate with researchers and other SEI teams to establish education and other transition support mechanisms to educate and facilitate the application of DevOps principles on client DoD and government programs
- Expand the application of DevOps and lean concepts to embedded and real time systems in the DoD/Federal portfolio
- Creating, applying and codifying new approaches to address challenges and advance the software engineering state of the practice
- Coordinate closely with staff across the SEI to deliver software engineering technology and expertise to DOD customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Deep, detailed knowledge of software engineering fundamentals: requirements development and management, software architecture and design techniques, process improvement methodologies, software assurance coding, cybersecurity methodologies,
- Related experience working on a large software development program
- Knowledge of how to apply system engineering principles to system software development
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and ability to present to principal partners internal and external to the organization.
- Proven program and project management skills including: interfacing with clients, developing proposals, and establishing relationships with new DoD and/or government clients.
- Demonstrated team related skills with the ability to lead and participate in multidisciplinary teams.
- Understanding of basic computer systems, and network, database and application security issues
- Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding collaboration skills, with excellent written and spoken communication excellent problem solving capabilities
- Highly motivated individual with ability to multi-task, prioritize and be detail-focused
Experience as a software developer working on software applications including demonstrated experience in five (5) or more of the following software activities:
- Hands on experience in an Ops/Devops role with emphasis on deploying and leading environments in cloud platforms(AWS, Azure or similar)
- Agile methods, DevOps or continuous software integration and deployment
- Experience with software engineering processes including requirements, architecture and design, program and acquisition management, performance improvement, assurance, and/or security, model based engineering (MBE, MDE, MDSE, etc), test, certification, etc.
- Understanding of government acquisition policy and DoD acquisition guidance
- COTS/GOTS product evaluation and integration
- Experience with CI/CD, log collection and analysis, builds and performance monitoring/tuning
- At least 3 years software programming experience like C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Bash, Ruby etc.
- Performance measurement including definition and application of goals, measurements and metrics
- SDLC tool expertise, e.g. Maven, Jenkins, Ant, docker, etc.
Job Function Breakdown:
85% - Tech Lead - Participate as a leader or member of dynamic technical teams in support of government acquisition programs.
10% - Staff Leadership - Identify and support the implementation strategies for the collection and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses, and blog entries).
5% - Other - Duties as assigned by the responsible Director, or Deputy Director.
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.