Who we are:
Since 1984, the Software Engineering Institute (SEI) has served the nation as a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC). As part of Carnegie Mellon University, which is globally recognized for its highly rated programs in computer science and engineering, the SEI operates at the leading edge of technical innovation.
Here at the SEI, we advance software engineering principles and practices and serve as a national resource in software engineering, computer security and process improvement. We work closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
We are positioned at the nexus of academia, government and industry and undertake the following activities to fulfill our mission:
- Perform research to advance and mature the discipline of engineering and securing software systems
- Build proof-of-concept and demonstration systems that are used in conjunction with stakeholders, to assess the viability of new approaches to mission challenges
- Widely disseminate recent advances and validated solutions relevant to the mission statement
- Deploy domain expertise, on-demand in short order to assist with critical, urgent or sensitive government program challenges
We aspire to bring software-based capabilities with confidence to the Department of Defense and other government entities. Confidence is multi-faceted—in cost and schedule, in functionality, in security, and in desirable architectural properties (i.e., the “ilities” or non-functional requirements such as reliability, sustainability, extensibility, flexibility, availability, safety, etc.). It is also the confidence that people with moderate levels of education and training are able to operate software systems effectively and safely.
We are recognized internationally for our work in both software engineering and cyber security. For more information, you may visit the SEI website at www.sei.cmu.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
The CFO participates as a member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and reports to the Director/CEO of the Institute and is responsible for the management of financial and other business administrative resources. Provide management, direction, guidance, and support to managers and staff of key administrative areas, including financial services, business services, facilities, and international operations. Ensure that internal and external customers are receiving consistent, timely, cost-effective, customer-oriented services related to SEI’s financial and business administrative infrastructure. This position must provide service that is consistent with the guidelines, policies and practices of the SEI, CMU and the Federal Acquisition Regulations, as well as the guidelines and policies for FFRDC operations.
You will have a Bachelor’s degree with 15+ years of financial leadership experience, although an advanced degree (i.e. MBA) is preferred plus applicable professional certifications (i.e. CPA). The leadership experience will be a combination of finance and business administration in high technology, research and development, sponsored projects or an academic organization. Exposure to enhanced cost accounting that incorporates different corporates structures (e.g. profit & non-profit or federal & non-federal) within the same organizational umbrella is preferred as well.
Additionally, you should possess:
- Strong influencing skills.
- Proven ability in developing a strategic plan to accomplish goals.
- Demonstrated understanding of the DoD and Federal acquisition and developer communities.
- Reputation for the highest level of integrity.
- Success at building consensus within a matrixed organization.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
What would we expect from you in terms of setting strategy?
- You have the creativity and articulation needed to inspire vision not only for the areas you are directly responsible for, but for the entire organization.
- You are inclined to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the institute's overall strategy.
- You demonstrate an entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
- You possess the skill to effectively balance the desire and need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful.
How will you execute for results?
- You set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in getting results.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; and adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- You are a risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart risks.
- You are viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in your approach to making decisions; to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
What will your approach be to leading teams?
- You can attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
- You have experience persevering in the face of challenges, and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which garners respect from followers.
How will you build relationships and influence?
- You naturally connect and build strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- You inspire trust in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in your beliefs, and active drive.
- You are willing to share the spotlight and visibly celebrate and support the success of the team.
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.