Position Summary: The CERT Program is part of the Software Engineering Institute (SEI), a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. CERT engages in state of the art R&D activities in computer security. The CERT Security Automation Directorate, Secure Lifecycle Solutions (SLS) group delivers innovative engineering methods and solutions to challenging cybersecurity problems. By demonstrating in-house technical expertise and long-standing collaborations with leading researchers from special academic institutions, develop custom methods and systems to meet customer needs. We apply ground breaking research and technologies to provide secure software solutions that bring real value to support the mission of our government and industry partners and advance the current state of practice.
SLS expertise in DevOps processes and tools, resilient system design and implementation, and requirements gathering and analysis enables team to develop comprehensive practices engineering processes tailored to rare customer needs, or improve existing processes to meet evolving challenges by demonstrating new technologies. Built on confirmed SEI software engineering methodologies and CERT cyber security expertise, SLS engineering processes lead to efficient, successful, and secure product development and deployment.
You will participate in all phases of the application development lifecycle including hands on development activities.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with eight (8) years of applicable experience.
Experience: Experience as a software developer working on software applications in a professional environment required:
At least three of the five years relevant experience working on static web applications.
- Experience in an Ops/DevOps role with an emphasis on deploying and handling environments in cloud platforms(AWS, Azure, or similar)
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet, or similar.
- Experience developing in object oriented programming on Java, C#, C++
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, Ruby, Perl, and Bash
- Experience with modern web frameworks such as Django, Angular JS, React
- Familiarity with SDLC deployment packages, Maven, Ant, Docker, etc
- Experience with source code repository - Git, Mercurial, SVN, or TFS
- Experience solving problems software applications and reading stack traces
- Familiarity with system and task automation
- Familiarity with risk and security assessments
- Collaboration skills, with written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving capabilities
- Knowledge of software engineering on following strengths: requirements, architecture and design, program and acquisition management, performance improvement, assurance, and/or security
- Relevant experience within the last 2 years in working on a large software development program
- Familiarity with general Linux operating system concepts, development pipeline tools, etc.
- Understanding of basic computer systems, and network, database and application security issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent reasoning and analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively and manage time without supervision
- Ability to attend customer meetings and respond to customer requirements
- Highly motivated Self-starter individual with ability to multi-task, prioritize and actionable
Mobility: Will be required to travel on overnight assignments, occasionally for several days.
Environmental Conditions: Usual office setting, including extended work at a computer screen.
Mental: Ability to work meticulously with careful attention to detail; ability to meet target dates while working on multiple tasks – sometimes and with shifting priorities; ability to deal harmoniously, diplomatically, and successfully with customers, co-workers and other professional colleagues, managers, and staff; ability to grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort; ability to quickly learn new procedures, techniques, approaches, etc.
Other: You will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: MS degree in CS, Information Systems, systems and/or software engineering, acquisition management, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Accountability: You will develop and implement project technical results. Commit to program objectives and plans development. Keep in confidence sensitive information such as security, and site-specific information.
Direction: As a technical staff member, he/she will be expected to operate with minimum supervision using CMU and SEI defined practice, policies and procedures, in concert with the SEI mission.
Decisions: Accurately represent the program in interactions with customers, sponsors, and the public. Participate in conferences and workshops where security-related issues are discussed as required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not formally supervise others. However, the individual may will act in a technical leadership (non-supervisory) role in regard to specific work products and activities, or leading student interns, etc.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
85% Design and implement of software requirements and integrate with other software tools or relational Databases.
10% Identify and support the implementation strategies for the collection and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. Dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses, and blog entries).
5% Other duties as assigned by the SLS Technical Manager, or Team Leads
100% total effort
Organizational Chart Manager, CERT < Technical Director< Technical Manager < Software Engineer
CMU is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran