This position is located in El Segundo, CA.
This position is with our Client Technical Solutions Directorate (CTS). We are focused on matching state-of-the-art software capabilities with critical US Department of Defense and other government agency acquisitions and organizations. The role will support the SEI’s mission by capturing government needs and identifying, shaping, and guiding programs to operationalize the most appropriate software engineering and acquisition techniques and practices.
Position Summary: The candidate selected for this position will provide software engineering expertise to the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center. We are seeking an engineer passionate about improving the ability to deliver secure, high quality, and mission critical software systems. As Senior DevOps Engineer, you will lead and/or participate on teams that improve performance, mission assurance, and predictability of acquisition, evolution and operations of software-reliant systems.
- BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related field, with ten (10) years of applicable experience.
- Flexible to travel to customer sites, conferences, other SEI offices; moderate travel.
- You will be subject to a background check, and must be able to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Understanding customer requirements and key challenges and addressing them with tailored solutions or integrated solutions
- Designing, applying, adapting, integrating, verifying and transitioning the SEI technical body of knowledge and research to maximize impact;
- Building, applying and codifying new approaches to support customer needs and advance the software engineering state of the practice
- Coordinate closely with staff across the SEI to deliver DevOps expertise to DOD customers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience as a software developer working on software applications in a professional environment required:
- Hands on experience in an Ops/DevOps role with emphasis on deploying and leading environments in cloud platforms(AWS, Azure or similar)
- Experience with CI/CD, log collection and analysis, builds and performance monitoring/tuning
- Experience with a scripting language like Python, Perl, Bash, Ruby etc.
- Experience with complete SDLC tools like Maven, Jenkins, Ant, docker, etc.
- Hands experience with Configuration Management tool Chef/puppet or similar
- Knowledge of SCM tools (SVN, Git) would be a plus
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools like Kibana, NewRelic, Nagious, Splunk, Graphite, Graphana etc.
- Experienced troubleshooting Java applications and reading stack traces
- Experience with application disaster recovery, migration, roll-back plans, expansion, routine deployments, and system upgrades
- Knowledge of switches, firewalls and routers
- Experience and proficient with Linux (Preferably with CentOS/RHEL)
- Knowledge of YUM, system patching and other administration tools
- Familiarity with system automation
- Deep knowledge of software engineering including detailed knowledge of at least three of the following skills you'll use every single day: requirements, architecture and design, program and acquisition management, performance improvement, assurance, and/or security
- Relevant experience within the last 5 years in working on a large software development program
- Deep familiarity with general Linux operating system concepts, development pipeline tools, etc.
- Knowledge of how to apply system engineering principles to system software development
- Ability to execute network assessments and report results, write documentation
- Understanding of basic computer systems, as well as network, database and application security issues
- Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively without close supervision
- Strong teamwork skills, with excellent written and spoken communication excellent troubleshooting capabilities
- Highly motivated self-starter individual with ability to multi-task, prioritize and remain focused on details.
- Review and development of performance and capacity plans (operational capacity and load requirements)
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.