This position is located in El Segundo, CA.
Position Summary: The candidate selected for this position will provide software engineering expertise to the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center. We are seeking an engineer passionate about improving the ability to deliver secure, high quality, and mission critical software systems. If you are committed to bringing innovation to government, then this is the position for you.
As Senior DevOps Engineer, you will lead and/or participate on teams that improve performance, mission assurance, and predictability of acquisition, evolution and operations of software-reliant systems.
Key activities include:
- Understanding customer requirements and key challenges and addressing them with tailored solutions or integrated solutions
- Designing, applying, adapting, integrating, verifying and transitioning the SEI technical body of knowledge and research to maximize impact;
- Building, applying and codifying new approaches to support customer needs and advance the software engineering state of the practice
- Coordinate closely with staff across the SEI to deliver DevOps expertise to DOD customers.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related field, with ten (10) years of applicable experience.
Experience: Experience as a software developer working on software applications in a professional environment required:
- Hands on experience in an Ops/DevOps role with emphasis on deploying and leading environments in cloud platforms(AWS, Azure or similar)
- Experience with CI/CD, log collection and analysis, builds and performance monitoring/tuning
- Experience with a scripting language like Python, Perl, Bash, Ruby etc.
- Experience with complete SDLC tools like Maven, Jenkins, Ant, docker, etc.
- Hands experience with Configuration Management tool Chef/puppet or similar
- Knowledge of SCM tools (SVN, Git) would be a plus
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools like Kibana, NewRelic, Nagious, Splunk, Graphite, Graphana etc.
- Experienced troubleshooting Java applications and reading stack traces
- Experience with application disaster recovery, migration, roll-back plans, expansion, routine deployments, and system upgrades
- Knowledge of switches, firewalls and routers
- Experience and proficient with Linux (Preferably with CentOS/RHEL)
- Knowledge of YUM, system patching and other administration tools
- Familiarity with system automation
- Deep knowledge of software engineering including detailed knowledge of at least three of the following skills you'll use every single day: requirements, architecture and design, program and acquisition management, performance improvement, assurance, and/or security
- Relevant experience within the last 5 years in working on a large software development program
- Deep familiarity with general Linux operating system concepts, development pipeline tools, etc.
- Knowledge of how to apply system engineering principles to system software development
- Ability to execute network assessments and report results, write documentation
- Understanding of basic computer systems, as well as network, database and application security issues
- Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively without close supervision
- Strong teamwork skills, with excellent written and spoken communication excellent troubleshooting capabilities
- Highly motivated self-starter individual with ability to multi-task, prioritize and remain focused on details.
- Review and development of performance and capacity plans (operational capacity and load requirements)
Mobility: Travel on overnight assignments, occasionally for several days.
Environmental Conditions: Usual office setting, including extended work at a computer screen.
Mental: Ability to work meticulously with careful attention to detail; ability to meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks – with inflexible deadlines with shifting priorities; ability to deal collaboratively, diplomatically, and successfully with customers, co-workers and other professional colleagues, managers, and staff; ability to grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort; ability to quickly learn new procedures, techniques, approaches, etc.
Other: You will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, systems engineering, software engineering, or acquisition management, with eight (8) years of relevant experience.
Accountability: The member will be directly accountable for understanding DoD acquisition needs, applying new technologies, and establishing delivery capabilities to meet the needs of the sponsoring organization and the acquisition community.
Decisions: Will be required to work with government program offices to identify strengths and weaknesses within the acquisition program and their contractor base and build solutions to address the weaknesses and recognize and encourage the strengths.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Must be able to lead and supervise others.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
85% Participate as a leader or member of dynamic technical teams in support of government acquisition programs.
10% Identify and support the implementation strategies for the capture and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses, and blog entries).
5% Other duties as assigned by the responsible Director, or Deputy Director.
100% Total Effort
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran