This position is located in El Segundo, CA
Position Summary: The Senior Software Systems Engineer will provide direct support to the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center in the development and operation of large scale software engineering systems. This position will support the Software Engineering Institute’s (SEI) mission by working with these government programs to understand their challenges, identifying actionable solutions, and guiding programs to operationalize the most effective techniques and practices. This position also requires using an understanding of government software engineering challenges to inform software engineering research and identify technology transition barriers and enablers.
If you are an engineer passionate about improving the ability to deliver high quality, critical software systems, and you are committed to bringing software innovation to government and beyond, then this is the position for you.
Key activities include:
- Understanding customer software engineering challenges and identifying alternatives using tailored or integrated solutions
- Applying, adapting, integrating, verifying and transitioning the SEI body of research to improve DOD program software engineering activities
- Creating, applying and codifying new approaches to address challenges and advance the software engineering state of the practice
- Coordinate closely with staff across the SEI to deliver software engineering technology and expertise to DOD customers.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
BS or equivalent degree in relevant discipline with ten (10) years applicable experience; MS or equivalent degree in relevant discipline with eight (8) years applicable experience; PhD or equivalent degree in relevant discipline with five (5) years applicable experience, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
You will have technical breadth and expertise in:
- Understanding of all aspects of the end-to-end software lifecycle (e.g., requirements, design, implementation, testing, integration, deployment, sustainment)
- Software project management and/or systems engineering management
- DOD or Intelligence Community software/system acquisition processes and directives
You should have demonstrated experience in five (5) or more of the following software activities:
- Software architecture development, software architecture evaluation, software architecture patterns (e.g. SOA)
- Software analysis including reviewing software designs or code analysis
- applying cloud computing, containers, or virtualization in DOD systems
- Information assurance/survivability
- Building cyber resilient software systems
- Systems engineering on software intensive systems
- COTS/GOTS product evaluation and integration
- Software acquisition strategies and software RFP language
- Performance measurement including definition and application of goals, measurements and metrics
- Agile methods, DevOps or continuous software integration and deployment
- Modernizing legacy systems
Skills/Abilities: Demonstrated ability as follows:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and ability to present to high visibility partners internal and external to the organization.
- Proven program and project management skills including: interfacing with clients, developing proposals, and establishing relationships with new DoD and/or government clients.
- Proven team related skills with the ability to lead and participate in multidisciplinary teams.
Mobility: Frequent travel on overnight assignments.
Environmental Conditions: Usual office setting with extended use of a computer screen.
Other: You will be subject to a background investigation and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Licenses: Certified DoD Acquisition Professional.
Accountability: The member will be directly accountable for understanding DoD software engineering challenges, applying new technologies, and establishing delivery capabilities to meet the needs of the DOD program.
Decisions: Will be required to work with government program offices to identify strengths and weaknesses within the acquisition program and their contractor base and build solutions to address the weaknesses and recognize and encourage the strengths.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Lead distributed teams within cost and schedule.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
85% Leader or member of technical teams in support of government software acquisition program offices or as a member of a technical team performing software research. Identify and support the implementation strategies for the collection and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses, and blog entries).
10% Serve in an advisory capacity to other SEI technical programs on acquisition or technical challenges.
5% Other duties as assigned by the Client Technical Solutions Directorate Executive Director or Deputy Director.
100% total effort
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.