Position Summary: This career position is with our Client Technical Solutions (CTS) Directorate. CTS is focused on matching state-of-the-art software capabilities with critical US Department of Defense and other government agency acquisitions and organizations.
The position is based at our customer site in San Antonio, TX, and will support the SEI’s mission by capturing government needs and identifying, shaping, and guiding programs to operationalize the most appropriate software engineering and acquisition techniques and practices.
We are committed to bringing innovation to government and beyond, and we’re seeking an Engineer with passion for improving the ability to deliver high quality, mission critical systems.
The Senior Software Systems Engineer will lead and/or participate on teams that enable the organizations within the Department of Defense to enhance the predictable performance and mission assurance in the acquisition, evolution and operations of software-reliant systems.
Key activities include:
- understanding customer requirements, key challenge problems and addressing them with tailored solutions;
- applying, adapting, integrating, verifying and transitioning the SEI body of knowledge and other bodies of knowledge to maximize impact;
- creating, applying and codifying new approaches to support customer needs and advance the software engineering state of the practice; and
- maintaining situational awareness in technical and DoD domains.
The candidate will coordinate closely with staff across the SEI to deliver software engineering technical expertise to customers throughout the system and software life-cycle.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: BS or equivalent degree in relevant discipline with ten (10) years applicable experience; MS or equivalent degree in relevant discipline with eight (8) years applicable experience; PhD or equivalent degree in relevant discipline with five (5) years applicable experience, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Candidates must have experience in software engineering, development or management, and/or systems engineering. The ideal candidate will exhibit demonstrable skills in the following areas as applied to IT systems, embedded systems, or safety-critical systems (in the context of the Department of Defense is most desired but not required):
- Software engineering: requirements elicitation and analysis, architecture, design and reengineering, development and testing (automated, integrated included), deployment and sustainment.
- Software process: (one or more) Agile, Team Software Process, Rapid Application Development, Iterative/Incremental Development or Systems Development Life Cycle.
Exhibited knowledge in software programming language, tool environments, and computer science background in the following areas are ideal however candidates are expected to be adaptable to changing circumstances:
- Programming: C, C++, Java, SQL, SQL/PL, PHP/Scripting, Ruby, Simulink, MatLab, Maple, R
- OS: Microsoft Windows-based (desktop/server); Linux (variants of desktop/server); including cloud hosting environments
- DBMS and frameworks: relational (Oracle, Oracle EBS), NoSQL (Cassandra, MongoDB), graph, hierarchical
- Distributed environments: IP, TCP, UDP, TLS, HTTP, RPC, Apache Thrift, Apache Axis2, WSDL, REST, SOAP, JSON
- Tools: Collaboration tool suites, architecture and design support tools, lifecycle management tools, automated testing suites, integrated development environments
Candidate should have experience building, leading, managing, and participating on cross-functional, high technology teams and be able to operate effectively and be able to interact diplomatically with partners, customers and sponsors.
Candidates are expected to have deep detailed knowledge of at least two core competencies in software engineering and software process. Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to present to high visibility stakeholders internal and external to the organization.
Demonstrated program and project management skills including: interfacing with clients, developing proposals, and establishing relationships with new clients (DoD and/or government most desired) and programmatic and project management skills (e.g., ability to develop project plans, track deliverables, manage risks, perform staff planning, provide budget oversight). Proven team related skills with the ability to lead and participate in multidisciplinary teams.
Mobility: Will be required to travel on overnight assignments.
Environmental Conditions: Usual office setting with extended use of a computer screen.
Other: Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, systems engineering, software engineering, or acquisition management, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licenses: Certified DoD Acquisition Professional. Certified PMP.
Accountability: The member will be directly accountable for understanding DoD acquisition needs, applying new technologies, and establishing delivery capabilities to meet the needs of the sponsoring organization and the acquisition community.
Direction: As a technical staff member, he/she will be expected to operate with minimum supervision using CMU and SEI defined practice, policies and procedures, in concert with the SEI mission.
Decisions: Will be required to work with government program offices to identify strengths and weaknesses within the acquisition program and their contractor base and build solutions to address the weaknesses and recognize and encourage the strengths.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Must be able to lead and supervise others.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
85% Participate as a leader or member of technical teams in support of government acquisition program offices or participate as a member of a technical team performing research. Identify and support the implementation strategies for the capture and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses, and blog entries).
10% Other duties as assigned by the Client Technical Solutions Directorate Executive Director, Deputy Director, Associate Director or Chief Engineer.
5% Serve in an advisory capacity to other SEI technical programs on acquisition or technical issues.
100% TOTAL EFFORT
Organizational Chart: SEI Director’s Office < Director, Software Solutions Division < Technical Director, Client Technical Solutions Directorate < Sector Lead, CTSD Sector Team
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran