Position Summary: The Software Engineering Institute (SEI), a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University, seeks a highly motivated and technically skilled individual to join the User Services staff within its Information Technology department. This position is responsible for providing advanced tier-one technical support and help desk services within the SEI including Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. Desirable candidates will be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills as well as possess the ability to troubleshoot a wide variety of technical issues.
Duties of this position include diagnosing, troubleshooting and providing solutions for technical user problems. Must also be able to install, configure and troubleshoot system and application software including email clients, office applications, and approved customer related requests. Areas of support include, but are not limited to Windows, Linux, Macs, mobile phones, tablets, audio and video teleconferencing, account management, printing and networking and a wide variety of technical issues that deal with the hardware and software.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
Education/Training: Associates degree in a technical field or equivalent.
Experience: One (1) year of related experience with Help Desk and end user support. Working knowledge of computer operating systems and common tools including networking, email clients, and web browsers
- Excellent troubleshooting, problem solving, interpersonal, and reasoning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work remotely on After Hours coverage
- Ability to organize work in order to meet deadlines and user demands
- Ability to understand and follow directions
- Ability to interact well with customers with varying needs from government, business, and education spectrums
- Ability to assess support issues and either resolve or escalate to the appropriate resource for resolution.
- Ability to communicate with users, including insuring that the user understands what the incumbent has communicated
- Being able to use our online tracking Service Desk System to track and document incidents and requests is required.
Mobility: Able to sit for extended periods. Able to move between office locations in Pittsburgh, (if needed) on a rotational basis
Environmental Conditions: Close contact with a monitor for prolonged periods.
Mental: Ability to work well under pressure. Ability to pay attention to detail. Ability to meet inflexible deadlines. Ability to deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure.
Other: Expected to perform under minimum supervision. Most duties and responsibilities are handled independently with the use of established procedures and policies; only the most difficult or unique situations are referred to the manager. Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or equivalent combination of training and experience
Licenses: Certifications from CompTIA A+, CompTIA Networking+, CompTIA Security+
- Ability to create, develop and maintain documentation and training materials
- Ability to assist users by consulting on how to apply new technology to perform their job more efficiently
- Ability to handle new user training as needed
- Ability to answer help desk phone as needed
- Ability to work with other members of SEI Information Technology staff to resolve user problems and provide consistent and reliable help desk services
Accountability: The individual is expect to provide excellent customer service while providing a solution that meets the users’ needs or coming up with alternatives for the user that adhere to the policies set forth by I.T.
Direction: This individual is expected to perform under minimum supervision. Most duties and responsibilities are handled independently with the use of established procedures and policies. Only the most difficult or unique situations are referred to the manager.
Decisions: The individual will need to assess a wide variety of support issues and either resolve them or escalate them to the appropriate resource for resolution.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The individual will need to determine how work should be distributed among other IT staff members. This position could involve the training and oversight of student workers, resident affiliates, visiting scientists and independent contractors.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
40% Directly responds to and resolves user problems. Consults with users on best use of applications and how to’s.
20% Trains users in system, network or software capabilities and functions. Training can be one-on-one or in a classroom setting. Assists in developing user documentation.
10% Installs software. Assists in product evaluations and makes recommendations for software purchases.
10% Updates skills as needed. Researches new technology to evaluate its use in the SEI computing environment or IT’s.
10% Account administration.
10% Other duties as assigned, including meetings, providing additional help desk coverage as needed
100% TOTAL EFFORT
Organizational Chart: IT Director < User Services and Hardware Support Manager < User Services Consultant
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran