Position Summary: The CERT Division is part of the SEI, a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The CERT Division engages in cutting-edge research and development and develops and transitions disciplined approaches to improve the survivability and resiliency of the DoD, federal civilian agencies, private sector organizations and their networked information systems.
The individual in this position will work as a member of the Cybersecurity Assurance (CA) Team within the CERT Division. The CA team develops solutions (in the form of frameworks, models, tools, policies, practices, technical guidance, and training) that allow organizations to assess, analyze, and manage organizational, operational, and technical risks to mission-critical assets, processes, systems, and infrastructures.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: BS in Computer Science (or other technical field) with ten (10) years’ experience, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Certifications: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), and/or Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) and/or Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
Experience: Professional experience as an information security engineer, network security architect, information systems auditor, information systems analyst, or similarly technical occupation.
Experience with and applied knowledge in:
- Common risk and cybersecurity assessment methods
- Data analytics and cybersecurity metrics
- Cybersecurity laws, regulations, and standards
- Common network security architectures
- Common networking protocols and services
- Cyber security, survivability, and resilience concepts and issues
- Software and systems engineering
- Building and maintaining customer relationships
- Strategic Planning and requirements definition
- Process improvement
- Program planning, budgeting, and management
Skills/Abilities: Must exhibit the following skills and abilities:
- Understanding of information technology, security assessment methods, and telecommunications systems
- Working knowledge of network interoperability, cyber security, and survivability issues, including cyber security best practices and standards
- Working knowledge of DHS critical infrastructure sectors and related security and resilience issues
- Working knowledge of the DoD and federal agency resilience needs and cyber security roadmaps
- Development and delivery of information and infrastructure security risk and vulnerability evaluations
- Ability to conduct analytical studies and investigations
- Reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse constituencies internally and externally
- Ability to work well as a member of a cooperative team; ability to work in a matrix organizational structure
- Ability to recognize and deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to implement project plans, monitor project budgets, and identify and mitigate project risks
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to contribute to technical research white papers and reports; ability to prepare papers and deliver presentations to technical and non-technical audiences; ability to contribute to customer technical exchanges and marketing presentations
- Ability to work on customer sites with high-ranking members of federal agencies and DoD
- Participation in professional society activities, particularly IEEE and ACM
Physical/Mobility: Primarily sedentary in an office setting with some mobility. Ability to travel frequently to various locations within the SEI and CMU community, customer sites, conferences, and offsite meetings.
Environmental Conditions: Close contact with computer for extended periods of time.
Mental: Strong interest in the human, managerial, and technical aspects of cyber security is critical for this position as are these abilities:
- Take or share leadership role in technical projects
- Work meticulously with careful attention to detail
- Meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks – sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities
- Deal collaboratively, diplomatically, and successfully with customers, co-workers and other professional colleagues, managers, and staff
- Ability to understand the direction, and goals of an effort; ability to develop and communicate innovative ideas; ability to demonstrate initiative and to quickly learn new procedures, techniques, approaches, etc.
Other: Strong interest in cyber security and critical infrastructure protection analysis basis research, applied research, and development. Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: MS in Computer Science (or related technical field) with eight (8) years’ experience or equivalent experience.
Certifications: Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP), and/or GIAC Penetration Tester (GPEN), and/or Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), and/or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Expert experience in risk and cybersecurity assessment methods
- Advanced knowledge of network security architectures
- Expert knowledge in cybersecurity laws, regulations, and standards
- Expert experience in data analytics and cybersecurity metrics
- Experience with common penetration testing toolsets (Metasploit framework, vulnerability scanners, web application scanners, Nmap
- Experience with common penetration testing methodologies and tactics (PTES, OWASP testing guide, etc.)
Skills/Abilities: Strong presentation/platform skills and excellent writing skills.
Accountability: The individual will implement and participate in the planning and execution of projects leading to technical results. The individual will also contribute to project, department, or program objectives and planning document development. The individual will keep in confidence sensitive information such as customer processes, risks, vulnerabilities, and internal work products, whether for eventual public or private distribution.
Direction: The individual is expected to act independently using CMU, SEI, and CERT defined policies, practices, and procedures – within the scope of assigned work.
Decisions: The individual must make sound technical decisions with little supervision. The individual must accurately represent the program in interactions with customers, sponsors, and the public. The individual is expected to perform analysis on-site at customer locations and immediately assess potential vulnerabilities requiring further investigation.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position could involve the training and oversight of the work of other staff members, graduate students, resident affiliates, visiting scientists, and independent contractors. Depending on research project or customer work plan, position may involve task leadership.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
60% Participate in cybersecurity assessments operating in a technical leadership role; analyze assessment data to identify risk areas and propose mitigation alternatives.
15% Participate in research into innovative and cutting-edge tools, techniques, and methods to improve cybersecurity and operational resilience; transition research into applied knowledge for customers.
10% Deliver courses in operational resilience management, cybersecurity management, and information security risk management
5% Contribute to conferences and meetings; participate in marketing calls and technical exchanges with clients; give talks and lectures as appropriate; participate on working groups for subjects of interest.
5% Contribute to and review the literature in cyber security, resilience, and software engineering.
5% Provide assistance and input to other teams and projects within the SEI.
100% Total Effort
Organizational Chart: Director, CERT Division < Technical Director, Cyber Risk and Resilience< Technical Manager, Cybersecurity Assurance Team < Senior Cyber Security Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran