Position Summary: The Web Services Project Administrator II is part of the Web Services group within the Office of the Chief of Staff/Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCOS/OCIO) at the Software Engineering Institute (SEI) of Carnegie Mellon University. The person in this position will serve as a Project Administrator providing oversight across high-visibility and high-impact projects within the Web Services group and may also manage projects within the larger OCOS/OCIO group.
This position will also be responsible for establishing and implementing project management methodologies for use across the Web Services teams. This includes project and portfolio management within Web Services by defining processes and procedures, and providing training and mentoring. In addition, this position will be the primary liaison between Web Services and the OCOS and SEI Project Management Processes.
Establishes project scope by studying strategic business drivers; discovering and validating business and technical requirements and parameters; obtaining input from subject matter experts; examining and recommending changes to current business practices.
- Develops solutions by formulating objectives; planning project life-cycle deliverables and resource availability and application; preparing requirements; leading the exploration, evaluation, and design of technical solutions.
- Implements solutions by monitoring project progress; tracking action items; conducting design and implementation reviews; examining, researching, and resolving issues; escalating issues to appropriate authority; responding to team members' concerns; coordinating requirements with interested departments.
- Assures quality solutions by coordinating the development and completion of test plans; maintaining project and technical documentation.
- Accomplishes work requirements by orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching project team members; following production, productivity, quality, and customer service standards; identifying work process improvements.
- Provides project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Ensures closeout of projects.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking technology and project management advances; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
The Project Administrator is specifically responsible for the full range of Project Management activities for multiple projects using the Agile approach including:
- supporting Scrum activities and meetings (backlog grooming, sprint planning, daily scrum, sprint review meeting, and sprint retrospective meeting);
- helping to remove obstacles and facilitating progress toward goals;
- coordinating long-term planning with project teams;
- creating and managing project documents like the Project Management Plan, Decision Log, and Risk Register;
- managing project communications, including formal presentations and informal communications to stakeholders;
- and working with other departments and external stakeholders to ensure a coordinated effort.
The position requires the day-to-day interface with key stakeholders and project team members and also requires demonstrated project management experience and technical knowledge of software and systems engineering and website strategy. Successful candidates will possess a strong understanding of the work of the SEI, excellent communications and interpersonal skills, and the ability to diagnose problem situations and develop effective solutions.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: Bachelor's degree in business administration of related field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Experience: Three (3) to five (5) years of project management experience in a similar environment. Experience with Agile.
Skills/Abilities: Understanding and application of project management and Agile theory and technologies; ability to function competently in a team environment; excellent analytical, organizational, reasoning and problem solving skills; ability to interact effectively with the Software Engineering Institute community and external customers; excellent verbal and written communication skills; computer literacy, including proficiency using spreadsheet, project management and database software; ability to maintain accurate and detailed records; supervisory skills.
- Ability to collaborate across functional teams to achieve desired objectives
- Excellent analytical, organizational, reasoning and problem solving skills
- Ability to interact effectively with SEI and external customers, especially in requirements elicitation
- Work in a changing environment with a strong learning capability
- Work successfully on multiple complex tasks in a team environment
- Organize his/her work and meet deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Physical: Mobility: The qualified candidate must be able to work in a normal sedentary position with some mobility (e.g., going to other offices to investigate problems, attending meetings on campus or conferences). Occasional business travel required.
Environmental Conditions: Normal office setting.
Mental: Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; ability to work under pressure in a constantly changing environment; ability to meet inflexible deadlines; ability to remain calm and composed when dealing with difficult people, situations and frequent interruptions; and ability to prioritize the tasks associated with multiple groups in a team environment.
Other: Evening/weekend hours may be required in order to meet production deadlines on an infrequent basis. May require contact with security-sensitive customer information. Frequent exposure to confidential information
Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: Additional course work in a related field.
Licenses: Certification from the Project Management Institute or equivalent
Experience: Over 12 contiguous months of experience relevant to the minimum qualifications served in the same organization. Experience working with and/or managing third-party contractors working with internal staff on web applications.
Other: Existing DoD clearance.
Accountability: Monitors funding and spending to ensure adherence with budget.
Direction: Most normal duties and responsibilities are handled independently with the use of established procedures and policies. Only the most difficult or unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
Decisions: Responds to non-routine customer requests. Analyzes reports to ensure accuracy. Determines when serious deviations or variations that may compromise project results occur. Escalates difficult project issues as appropriate.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Employee may, at the manager’s discretion, task/supervise student/temporary employees in completion of specific tasks. Employee may supervise administrative personnel to assist with data gathering activities and analysis activities.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
40% Controls, manages and monitors Project Management Plans, long-term roadmaps, and other customer contract documents. Proactively provides status information to manager and project sponsors. Assesses and analyzes any risks and issues that may compromise project performance and communicates information to manager and project sponsors. Searches out new information, analyzes data gathered and recommends a course of action. Responds to non-routine customer requests
30% Maintains electronic library for project documents and team documentation. Maintains and helps prioritize electronic backlog.
10% Initiate, establish and maintain communication channels with project sponsors and key stakeholders. Serves as liaison between internal constituencies and external customers. Coordinate efforts between the project team and other teams in the institute as needed.
5% Monitors and coordinates the preparation and submission of procurement documents
5% Plans, organizes and coordinates project meetings and special events. Delegates arrangements for meeting facilities, audio visual and other support.
5% Professional development – including training classes, seminars and other learning opportunities. Maintaining awareness of evolving trends and techniques in project administration and management.
5% Other duties as assigned including meetings and interaction with other SEI staff
100% TOTAL EFFORT
Organizational Chart: Chief Information Officer < Web Services Manager < Web Services Project Administrator II
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran