What we do: The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement.
The SEI Information Technology Group is responsible for defining, developing, supporting, and evolving the technology-related services needed by the SEI in the pursuit of its overarching mission. Information Technology seeks to provide the Institute with a current, reliable, and secure infrastructure.
Position Summary: The Network and Infrastructure Engineering group mission is to provide and maintain a reliable, resilient, and sustainable core technical infrastructure which securely meets the current and anticipated needs of all programs and initiatives at the Software Engineering Institute.
As a Network Engineer, you will participate in and lead technical efforts that support the mission as well as provide a vision and direction for the network infrastructure. You should be a domain expert or network and network security technologies. You should have strong interpersonal skills to collaborate with both technical and non-technical personnel.
- BS in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology with (3) three to (5) five years of experience; or a degree in other technical fields (e.g., engineering) and years of relevant experience as described above will be considered as well.
- Ability to provide technical support on a 24x7 basis is required, including weekends and an on-call rotation.
- Computer hardware installation and configuration required on a periodic basis, sometimes involving transport of heavy objects (typically under 50 lbs.) short distances, use of hand tools, etc.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. Moderate travel (15%)
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Experience as a Network Engineer for a heterogeneous infrastructure in a professional environment required.
- You will have at least three of the five years relevant experience maintaining and evolving a network for the same organization is required.
- Network/System Administrator will have team leadership experience.
- Strong hands-on knowledge in the configuration, securing, and troubleshooting of Juniper and Cisco network devices, LAN and WAN technologies, firewalls, VPNs, routing protocols (OSPF, BGP), Linux-based network services, and monitoring/maintaining all of these to ensure their continued secure operation is required.
- We participate in the entire lifecycle (planning, deployment, maintenance) of network management and administration
- You will administer networks in multiple geographic locations, including ‘lights out’ operations
- You will respond to outage events via remote access (in appropriate circumstances) within 30 minutes.
- Some situations in this role will demand an on-site response; on-site response to the local SEI facility needs to be achieved within 60 minutes barring utmost adverse weather conditions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to deal with software and network systems integration at various levels (service design, deployment, maintenance).
- You will also have working experience with intrusion/anomaly detection, network forensics, and vulnerability assessment tools/techniques and load balancing technologies.
- Employee should possess strong analytical problem solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Employee may, at the manager or team leader’s discretion, task/supervise other employees in completion of specific tasks.
- Ability to participate in conversations collaboratively, diplomatically, and successfully with customers, co-workers and other professional colleagues, managers, and staff.
- Working governmental accreditation requirements for operating IT environments and networks such as NISPOM, DCID and STIG.
- Experience with technologies such as Blue Coat proxy, F5 LTM/APM/ASM, and Pulse NAC/VPN.
- Licenses: Juniper Networks Certified Professional Enterprise Routing and Switching (JNCIP-ENT), Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or better
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
40% Maintenance and evolution of data network(s).
25% Mentoring and interaction with other staff.
15% User infrastructure problem identification/resolution.
10% Support other SEI Infrastructure production services
5% Develop documentation on the proper configuration/use of network facilities.
5% Maintaining awareness of evolving trends.
100% total effort
Benefits: Our benefits philosophy encompasses three driving priorities: Choice, Control, and Well-being. Learn more at https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/. You can join an institution and inspire innovations that change the world.
Carnegie Mellon University is a welcoming workplace that considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.