Position Summary: The CERT Division is part of the SEI, a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The CERT Division engages in cutting-edge research and development and develops and transitions disciplined approaches to improve the survivability and resiliency of the DoD, federal civilian agencies, private sector organizations and their networked information systems.
Role: As a Project Administrator II, the successful candidate will work closely with the PMO Manager, Project Managers, and Technical Leads to plan, establish and effectively manage technical projects to achieve work plan goals and to meet internal and external management and reporting requirements. You will perform administrative and PM duties in the Confluence wiki, JIRA, Microsoft Project, and other PM tools. You will support the management and completion of projects, to include tracking deliverables, schedules, cost and major equipment and other purchases. You will oversee all aspects of projects, set deadlines, assign responsibilities, monitor progress, and produce reports for management.
- Support PMO initiatives in process improvement
- Support PMO & PMs in preparing and conducting internal and external project management activities
- Project Administration
- Define and control scope
- Develop WBS, produce and manage schedule
- Work with Technical Leads to produce resource and schedule estimates
- Analyze actual cost and performance reports, identify variances, recommend responses
- Resolve or escalate risks related to cost, quality, and schedule
- Responsible for reporting progress, status, and issues to CERT and government program managers
- Assist Project Managers and Technical Managers with the contracting and purchasing processes
- Ensure contracts and purchases are effectively tracked in the project management process
- Project Tools Administrator
- Manage internal project information maintained in Atlassian Confluence & JIRA
- Support users unfamiliar with tools
- Perform troubleshooting
- Perform Time and Task Management
- Support creation of presentations for project management reviews
Minimum Qualifications and Requirement:
Education / Training: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Business Administration, Computer Science, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Experience: Three (3) to five (5) years of related experience in project management with related experience in government contract management and purchasing. Entry level candidates with less than three years of experience will be considered if college degree is focused management of information systems, project management, computer science, or accounting.
Skills / Abilities: Basic understanding and application of theoretical knowledge of specific field related to a particular position (i.e., Information Science, Finance, Business Administration, etc.); ability to function competently in a team environment, excellent analytical, organizational, reasoning, and problem solving skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; computer literacy to include creation and management of financial management documents (spreadsheets) and the ability to maintain accurate and detailed records.
Mobility: Primarily sedentary, long periods of sitting, may have to travel to other campus locations or customer sites, some bending, stretching and lifting up to several reams of paper, etc.
Environmental Conditions: Work is usually performed in an office setting. There may be close contact with CRT for long periods of time.
Mental: Ability to pay close attention to detail, meet inflexible deadlines, remain calm during difficult situations, work under pressure and work with frequent interruptions.
Other Week-end and evening hours may be required. Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements
Education / Training: Master’s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Experience: Experience in administering and supporting projects in related areas such as IT security management, product development, deployment engineering, consulting or research. Supervisory skills.
Accountability: Expected to determine own priorities based upon directorate and project strategy to meet performance objectives and established goals. Actively participates on project teams and may be asked to plan, organize and execute special events for projects or for the directorate.
Direction: Performs under general supervision, supervisor only checks end results of work. All normal duties and responsibilities are handled independently with the use of established procedures and policies. Only the most difficult or unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
Decisions: Candidate sets own priorities and makes appropriate decisions for successful project execution within established guidelines, policies, financial regulations and leadership goals.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Depending upon directorate growth, the candidate may supervise other staff, including participation in the hiring process, and training of new staff employees.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
80% Project Development, Tracking and Execution Support
- Project development administration
- Establishing and maintaining project files
- Project wiki and other tool administration
- Collection, maintenance and reporting of directorate financial information
- Customer deliverable tracking and reporting
- CERT liaison to SEI Financial and Business Services (FABS)
- Risk and Knowledge Management activities
- Special event planning, coordination and management
20% Technical Coordination
- Responsible for the data collection and coordination of input for reports and internal reviews
- Gather, organize and produce statistical and information reports as requested by senior technical staff
- Research and update operational statistical web sites
100% Total Effort
Organizational Chart: CERT Director< CERT Associate Director < CERT PMO Manager < CERT Project Manager < Project Administrator II
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran