Position Summary: The CERT Division is part of the SEI, a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The CERT Division engages in cutting-edge research and development and develops and transitions disciplined approaches to improve the survivability and resiliency of the DoD, federal civilian agencies, private sector organizations and their networked information systems.
A CERT Project Manager is a member of the CERT Delivery Management team that guides the development and execution of technical projects throughout the lifecycle. The successful candidate will work closely with PMO Manager to plan and establish organizational project management processes to achieve needs of different departments. The candidate will: develop project management processes and create improvement plans to meet business and project needs, perform administrative and PM duties, and be responsible for the management and completion of projects. Activities will include oversight of all aspects of projects, setting deadlines, assigning responsibilities, monitoring progress, and producing reports for management.
- Process Development & Continuous Improvement
- Develop a systematic management approach for projects in alignment with the organization’s strategic business goals
- Improve consistency in project management across the organization to promote collaboration and mobility
- Increase collaboration, ease administration, and align with customer needs
- Use feedback, direct experience, and new opportunities to improve and expand the capabilities of the project management office
- Project Management
- Lead team in creating and estimating a product backlog
- Develop WBS, prioritize tasks, and setup sprints
- Understand and communicate cost and schedule constraints to team
- Work with teams to produce cost estimates, schedules, and financial reporting artifacts
- Assist in managing the activities of non-organic employees and subcontractors who serve on the project team to ensure completion and acceptance of deliverables
- Inform and capture resource allocation decisions for competing priorities across the organization.
- Assemble project plans and, in conjunction with the technical lead, direct and monitor the work
- Resolve or escalate risks related to cost, quality, and schedule
- Responsible for reporting progress, status, and issues to CERT management and government program managers.
- Project Tools Administrator
- Use Atlassian tool suite, specifically Confluence and JIRA for managing project information
- Develop Kanban boards, Sprint Reports, Epic Reports, and Velocity Charts
- Create Business Intelligence Reports (SQL)
Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: MBA or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems or related field or combination of training and experience.
Certifications (preferred): PMI certification, Certified Scrum Master, PMI-ACP, Certified Scrum Professional, CISM, CISSP, or equivalent.
Experience: Designing, developing, or implementing information technology projects for government clients; exceptional interpersonal and technical writing skills; developing organizational project management processes and tools infrastructure. Candidate should have five to seven (5-7) years of project management experience with customer-focused technology projects such as product or service development, research and development or technical transition.
Skills/Abilities: Working knowledge of Confluence and JIRA; analytical and technical problem-solving skills; possess strong customer service skills; motivated to tackle challenging problems; excellent organizational skills; communicate effectively within a team environment.
Physical Mobility: Primarily sedentary, long periods of sitting; ability to travel to various locations within the SEI and Carnegie Mellon community, customer sites, conferences, and offsite meetings with some frequency.
Environmental Conditions: Normal office conditions, close contact with computer for prolonged periods of time.
Mental: Ability to work under pressure and changing priorities; pay attention to detail; meet inflexible deadlines; deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure.
Other: Applicants must be willing to travel to the offices in Pittsburgh, PA; Arlington, VA; and customer sites in the Washington D.C. / Northern Virginia metro area. Candidate will be required to travel on overnight assignments. Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Accountability: The Individual is accountable for: accurately capturing project requirements and managing projects through the lifecycle; working closely with technical project leads and CERT/SEI financial managers to ensure projects are accurately represented, managed and controlled.
Direction: Performs under minimal supervision, independent judgment is encouraged. Most normal duties and responsibilities are handled independently with the use of established procedures and policies. Difficult or unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
Decisions: Accurately represents the program and individual projects in interactions with internal branches, customers and sponsors. The individual is expected to participate in the decision-making and problem-solving processes surrounding building accurate project plans, understanding the SEI financial system and making CERT decisions regarding effort allocations, sub-contract negotiations and purchasing.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position may include supervision of one of more Project Administrators.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
40% Project Manager, Scrum Master, Agile Facilitator
20% Process development and continuous improvement
20% Financial & Customer Management
10% Contributing to and participating in business development, CERT management, and sponsor meetings.
10% Develop knowledge and understanding of SEI capabilities; learning how SEI capabilities can be applied to customer problems.
100% TOTAL EFFORT
Organizational Chart: CERT Director < Associate Director < PMO Manager
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran