Position Summary: The CERT Program is part of the Software Engineering Institute (SEI), a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. CERT engages in cutting-edge research and development in computer security. The CERT Security Automation Directorate helps large network operators and security organizations in the USG distill actionable insights from networks through strategic analysis, tool building, and systems development.
As a member of the Deployment Team, the selected candidate will be responsible for maintaining and evolving a network security test bed used for prototyping and systems analysis. The selected candidate must be capable of administering commodity systems as well as operating specialized networking equipment and hardware. As required, the candidate will support operational users and developer project teams.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with eight (8) years of applicable experience.
Experience: Applicable experience in the design, implementation, and operation of commercial and open source applications including experience in:
- System design including services, messaging, scalability, etc.
- Scripting (Python, Ruby, Perl).
- System administration, monitoring, and automation in Unix/Linux.
- Ability to evaluate and compare various solutions to identify benefits and constraints.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively without close supervision.
- Ability to collaborate with customers and external parties.
Mobility: Sedentary in an office setting with some mobility, i.e., able to travel to various locations within the SEI and CMU community as well as travel up to 20% to customer sites.
Environmental Conditions: Close contact with computer for extended periods of time.
Mental: Ability to work meticulously with careful attention to detail; ability to meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks – sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities; ability to deal collaboratively, diplomatically, and successfully with customers, co-workers and other professional colleagues, managers, and staff; ability to grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort; ability to quickly learn new procedures, techniques, approaches, etc.
Other: Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: MS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with five (5) years of applicable experience.
- Knowledge of Security Operations including log/event management and data analysis techniques. ▪ Working in production computing environment using development and operational support tools like JIRA, Bitbucket, and Confluence.
- Designing and operating environments that include Unix/Linux, Windows, virtualization, and networking hardware.
- Automating tasks with DevOps methodologies (continuous integration) using Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Experience using traffic generators to support evaluation and testing functions.
Direction: The individual is expected to act independently using CMU, SEI, and NSS defined policies, practices, and procedures – within the scope of assigned work.
Decisions: The individual is expected to participate in the decision-making and problem-solving processes of operating, maintaining and implementing a prototype network environment.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not formally supervise others. However, the individual may act in a technical leadership (non-supervisory) role in regard to specific work products and activities, or in regard to student interns, etc.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
45% Manage the hardware and software of a prototype network security test-bed to include all appropriate system administration tasks and processes; provision for new requirements and growth.
20% Prototype solutions for system deployment/management (DevOps) problems.
20 % Prototype technology and architectures for cyber defense capabilities including data analytics.
10% Monitor community and marketplace developments for emerging technology and applicability to the cyber defense mission.
5% Contribute to the broader security community.
100% TOTAL EFFORT
Organizational Chart: Director, CERT Program < Technical Director < Team Lead < Integration Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran.