Position Summary: The Client Technical Solutions Directorate at the Software Engineering Institute (SEI), part of Carnegie Mellon University, is searching for a Software Engineer to fill a position focused on developing advanced prototypes applying image processing, computer vision, virtual machine technology, wireless networking, and other technologies for operation in environments that require rapid analysis and decision making. AMS conducts applied research, prototypes advanced software systems and concepts, and matures and transitions technologies to the U.S. Department of Defense and other government organizations. The ideal candidate will enjoy working with world-renowned researchers and engineers at the SEI and Carnegie Mellon University, which is consistently ranked among the finest universities in the areas of computer science and engineering. The candidate should have a strong computer science and/or engineering background, and experience in developing computer software systems.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline, with demonstrated excellence in coursework and development activities
Experience: Three (3) years of substantial software development experience. Strong academic experience acceptable.
- Expertise in one or more of the following: image processing, machine learning, virtual machine technology, wireless networks, cloud services or mobile computing.
- Ability to design, develop, test, analyze, document, and demonstrate advanced prototypes. Ability and interest to investigate, learn, and apply emerging technologies and techniques. Ability to understand and resolve complex programming problems.
- 2+ years direct experience in one or more of the previously stated areas of interest, preferably with experience in meeting tight performance constraints.
- Proficient in C/C++, Java, Python, or similar languages.
- Experience with fusion of data from multiple sources a plus.
Mobility: The ability and willingness to travel is required.
Environmental Conditions: usual office setting with extended use of a computer screeen.
Mental: The ability to:
- Work meticulously with careful attention to detail;
- Meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks -- sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities;
- Work collaboratively, professionally, and successfully with customers, co-workers and other professional colleagues, managers, and staff; ability to grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort;
- Independently and quickly identify and learn new procedures, techniques, and technologies for application to advanced prototypes.
Other: Candidates will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements:
Education/Training: Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline.
Experience: One year of professional development experience with mapping applications, heads-up displays, virtual reality, application of machine learning, virtual machine technologies, wireless networks. Operational, intelligence, or cyber military experience a big plus.
Accountability: This position is accountable for work content, quality, and schedule.
Direction: This position operates within broad guidelines from the Initiative Lead and is expected to exercise reasonable discretion on technical solutions.
Decisions: Technical decisions to support specific research or customer needs. Software design choices and tradeoff decisions among technical alternatives.
Supervisory Responsibilities: May lead activities related to a customer task or lead peers to accomplish specific technical tasks or supervise students on a research project.
Job Functions or Responsibilities:
55% Design, develop, test, analyze, document, demonstrate, and deliver high-quality software.
30% Architect prototype systems
10% Participate on teams for customer software development specific efforts.
5% Participate in planning, review, and reporting activities.
100% Total Effort
Organizational Chart: Software Solutions Division (SSD) < Client Technical Solutions Technical Directorate < Software Developer.
Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/Disability/Veteran