CORE is seeking an experienced and innovative Director of Emergency Operations who will be responsible for the provision of field-based leadership on humanitarian response and technical guidance to CORE’s ongoing and future emergency interventions.
The Director of Emergency Operations will deploy, when necessary to the field to lead or support first and/or second wave responder teams. S/he will play a strong role in supporting Country and Regional Offices with program quality, quality assurance, and design and fundraising. S/he will lead CORE’s effort to coordinate with stakeholders including with government and non-government organizations at post disaster/emergency events. To enable these aspects, the Director of Emergency Operations will help build CORE’s outreach efforts by developing plans to participate in VOAD (domestic responses) and cluster meetings (international responses) and other similar coordination convenings.
In addition, key area of responsibility for the Director of Emergency Operations will be leading and managing timely identification and facilitation of surge support through CORE’s rapid response team/rosters mechanisms, emergency response/pool funds, and guidance and management of operational aspects of new approaches to effective response and implementation of humanitarian work. New approaches may include develop CORE’s approach towards attracting a system to register and use volunteers in responses.
The position will lead a cross-departmental effort to continually update CORE’s emergency response playbook based on findings from Response After Action Reviews, and will develop and facilitate trainings on emergency response SOPs throughout CORE. This position will liaise closely with CORE’s efforts on Domestic Long-term Recovery and respective CORE home office units/departments, Regional Offices, and peer agencies through
their representatives and concerned working groups.
The position reports to CORE’s Sr. Director of Humanitarian Response; works closely in collaboration with other humanitarian affairs team members who lead on other key strategic priority areas to ensure proper coordination, synergy and complementarity of roles in the implementation of CORE’s domestic emergency response programs. They will contribute to strategic and management decision-making on issues including, but not limited to, overall team objectives, budgeting, planning, fundraising, and human resources.
We require all employees to comply with our Mandatory Vaccination Policy. As a condition of employment individuals will be asked to provide proof of compliance.
- Main Responsibilities:
- Responsible for on-the-ground coordination with local authorities and emergency management agencies during domestic emergency responses;
- Close coordination with Sr. Director of Domestic Humanitarian Response to inform CORE’s emergency operations based on conversations with local authorities and emergency management agencies;
- Maintain CORE’s participation with National VOAD and state VOADs for domestic disaster response efforts.
- Maintain CORE’s participation in cluster meetings following and in preparation for international disaster responses
- Serve as field-based response lead for domestic emergency deployments;
- Deployment to support/lead set-up, scaling up or closing on domestic humanitarian response;
- Develop and/or refine current approaches to making CORE more effective and efficient in its response operations
- Coordinate relief efforts in with the Logistics, and Partnerships Managers to ensure proper supply, distribution, and use of donated goods for disaster response;
- Strategic leadership and technical guidance on humanitarian immediate and long term response;
- Assist to develop CORE’s approach towards developing an extensive volunteer base;
- Coordinate with the COREConnect team for program design, development, testing, and implementation of its use in the field;
- Implementation of CORE emergency response playbook and development/adaptation of new operational modalities/approaches across regional offices;
- Develop SOPs for CORE’s main emergency response activities;
- Domestic and International Humanitarian Response Staff management, development, and support, including development of roster in coordination with Human Resources;
- Other duties as assigned.
The Director of Emergency Operations will participate in regular business-related travel to active program areas and other locations of interest to CORE. The Director will maintain an “on call” status and may be deployed at any time in response to a disaster or crisis both domestic and international.
BA/BSc in humanitarian studies or similar fields or relevant practical experience
A minimum of 5 years experience in the humanitarian response field in a senior management and leadership position
Skills and Competencies:
Excellent written and spoken English; good communication skills and convincing presenter; proven forward planning and strategic skills; strong public relations skills and network building; good training and facilitation skills; strong leadership skills in high-stress situations.