Job Title: Assistant Technical Director
Reports To: Technical and Safety Director
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Prepared Date: April 2021
The Assistant Technical Director assists with the management and implementation of technical operations for mainstage productions, special events, and other HGO-produced projects. As a member of the Technical/Production Department the Assistant Technical Director is committed to maintaining HGO’s high production standards for all company productions and events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage the technical aspects of assigned productions and projects each season:
o Supervise and coordinate, in conjunction with design teams, IATSE crew heads and other technical department managers, all aspects of the layout, scheduling, installation, and running of assigned shows.
o Advise the Technical and Safety Director on scheduling, crewing, and construction cost savings.
o Advise the Technical and Safety Director on construction and rigging engineering.
o Research, develop and advise on materials, tools, hardware and special products.
o Locate and advise on suitable subcontractors for technical construction projects.
o Serve as one of the technical department contacts for directors and designers.
o Write bid and construction specifications for assigned productions.
o Acquire technical production information for assigned productions.
o Establish and maintain archival records for assigned productions.
o Serve on show duty for assigned productions.
• Assist with local and out of town cartage for assigned projects which may include:
o Obtaining required permits.
o Arranging for truck/trailer/container rentals.
o Arranging logistics with HGO shipping agents.
• Provide support on all Safety matters, setting a positive culture of safety within the working environment and ensuring a safe working environment in all company work spaces.
• Provide technical support for all HGO and HGO-related special events:
o Attend planning meetings for assigned events.
o Plan and oversee all technical setups for assigned events and meetings.
• Working closely with the other Technical Department members, plan the maintenance and upkeep of all HGO/HGOco tools, equipment and facilities under the direct control of the Technical/Production Department, (including the HGO warehouse and rehearsal spaces):
o Maintain a complete and up-to-date inventory.
o Plan and manage preventative maintenance and appropriate documentation.
o Contribute to the HGO Technical/Production Department capital equipment planning.
This job description represents the essential functions of the position, but is not all inclusive. Additional duties reasonably related to the position may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor’s degree in theatre technology or three years professional technical theater experience.
• Must be a collaborative team player, with effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Project management experience and some staff management preferred; experience supervising union crews strongly preferred.
• Proficiency in current release of Vectorworks, AutoCAD accepted but must be willing to learn Vectorworks.
• Proficiency in Office 365 tools, preferred; Outlook, Word, and Excel specifically.
• Experience in scenery construction, engineering, and theatrical rigging.
• Understanding of OSHA health and safety practices a plus.
• Knowledge of specialized theatrical departments (eg. Media Servers, Automation Systems) preferred.
• Must be able to lift fifty pounds to waist level.
• Availability for evening and weekend work required.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
• Ability and willingness to attain an OSHA 30 and Forklift certifications.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
Candidate must be highly motivated, independent self-starter with ability to be a calming influence to all around. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects, and have the ability to analyze problems and prioritize their
resolution in terms of resources within artistic and financial parameters. Must be able to speak in front of a crowd and communicate ideas and goals.
To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera’s job board at www.houstongrandopera.org/employment-and-auditions/ and apply there. RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job related disability, or marital status.