Job Title: Controller
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports To: CFO
Classification: Exempt, Fulltime
Date: February 2021
The Controller oversees the accounting, tax and audit activities of the organization and subsidiaries, and is responsible for the maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, to enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and to ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. Oversight of the strategic use of Financial Edge, Tessitura and Endowment Solutions software also reside in the job scope of this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Direct HGO's accounting operations, ensuring the accuracy, effectiveness, and productivity of accounts payable, invoicing/billing/customer records, accounts receivable, payroll receivables/liabilities, inventory/fixed asset records, general ledger accounting and cost accounting.
• Manage data within Financial Edge and develop reporting to disseminate information to management.
• Maintain and update chart of accounts, project codes, reports/VCOs
• Manage cash flow and lines of credit to minimize interest expense while staying current with payments to vendors.
• Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures (HGO Guild, HGO Endowment).
• Prepare/review investment entries and unitization reports for the HGO Endowment.
• Issue timely, complete and accurate quarterly and annual financial statements.
• Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, working with external auditors and assessing/implementing changes as necessary.
• Prepare and deliver appropriate reports to the Audit Committee as directed.
• Manage deferred compensation investment accounts and coordinate contractual distributions.
• Maintain compliance with local, state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
• Prepare annual 990 tax returns and supporting schedules.
• Review/comply with all FASB and GAAP regulations, including appropriate recording of restricted funds/contributions.
• Establish and maintain a documented system of financial policies and procedures for the organization.
• Supervise Senior Accountant and Accounts Payable Administrator, assessing and developing their skill sets.
• Work with other departments as necessary to facilitate a smooth and continuous flow of information.
Accounting or Finance degree required. 6 years' experience in a senior level accounting position required with a minimum of two years of supervisory experience. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, financial regulations required. Non-profit experience managing high volume of private contributions strongly preferred. Advanced excel skills, including pivot tables and vlookups, working knowledge of Financial Edge and Tessitura softwares a plus.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
The ideal candidate should be a highly motivated self-starter who can assess situations, determine urgency and identify potential risks, and make clear and timely decisions in the best interests of the organization. The candidate will possess a strong sense of ethics and will ensure that the organization's ethical standards and practices are established and maintained. Requires an ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports and statements. Requires effective organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills, and must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Requires strong oral communication and interpersonal skills.
To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera's job board at https://www.houstongrandopera.org/employment-and-auditions/ RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job related disability, or marital status.