Job Title: Director of Information Technology (IT)
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Date: August 2020
SUMMARY: This position plans, directs and manages Houston Grand Opera’s information technology department in order to ensure the development and implementation of cost-effective systems and efficient computer operations to meet the company’s current and future decision-making requirements. The Director of IT provides company-wide direction in areas of policy and planning for data processing and related functions (communication, office systems, interplant connectivity, etc.)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Leads the department’s strategic and operational planning to achieve business goals by fostering innovation, prioritizing IT initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment and management of current and future IT systems across the organization.
- Oversees all personnel assigned to the IT department by coordinating, assigning, reviewing work and establishing work schedules, maintaining standards, monitoring work progress, inspecting completed work assignment, answering questions, and providing advice and direction as needed.
- Establishes and maintains information technology policies, standards, practices and security measures to ensure effective and consistent operations, and to safeguard information resources.
- Develops, tracks and controls the annual IT operating and capital expenditures budgets.
- Evaluates IT equipment needs throughout the entire organization and develops and maintains a plan that will ensure business needs are met.
- Directs and coordinates technology installations, upgrades and maintenance, and selects and purchases new and replacement hardware and software, when necessary.
- Ensures that all IT activities are performed within the parameters of applicable laws, codes, and regulations, especially with respect to cybersecurity.
- Evaluates technology risks in order to develop and maintain an updated network disaster recovery plan and backup procedures and ensures that all server backups and disaster recovery plans are followed.
- Plans, coordinates and assists with the implementation of system-related projects and upgrades, and ensures that adequate controls are in place to safeguard data from unauthorized users or loss.
- Remains knowledgeable about pertinent advances and industry trends regarding information technology.
- Oversees company’s capital asset replacement plan and execution;
- Serves as company’s facilities manager; plans and coordinates installations and refurbishments as requested.
- The knowledge and skills required for this position are typically acquired in 5-10 years of experience in managing one or more information processing functions and/or through advanced training.
- Technical or on-the-job training in programming and hardware installation and maintenance is also required for the Director to work along with the staff for the effective development of the information systems.
- Frequent reading of periodicals and other literature on state-of-the-art trends as well as attendance at vendor-sponsored and other seminars is required in order to maintain the level of familiarity with the subject matter required to fill this position.
- Advanced training through technical institutions and/or colleges is also necessary to maintain skills to develop the systems necessary for HGO’s success.
- The ability and skill to implement, set up and manage hardware is necessary for a department of this size. Technical skills play a large role in this position.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS: Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Able to work independently and as part of a larger team on complex tasks with minimal supervision. Able to create accurate work in a fast-paced environment with constant change and interruptions. Able to prioritize effectively and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Able to gather relevant facts in a timely manner and make decisions quickly. Commitment to the mission and values of Houston Grand Opera.
To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera’s job board at www.houstongrandopera.org/work
RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job r