Job Title: Development Communications Manager
Reports to: Director of Development, Institutional Giving
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
The Development Communications Manager is responsible for creating and managing written content for various donor communications. The primary responsibility is to generate a high volume of proposals and reports to foundation, corporate, and government donors, as well as occasional proposals for key individual donors. This vital work comprises 75% of the job.
The Development Communications Manager will also work with Advancement colleagues to create and execute an overall donor communications strategy, comprising the other 25% of the role. This includes planning and creating content for the following donor communications: HGO's quarterly program/magazine, Opera Cues; the quarterly donor newsletter, Opera Unleashed; quarterly donor reporting videos, and several e-newletters to subsets of HGO supporters. Additional donor communications include summaries of upcoming productions and projects, acknowledgment letters, end-of-season reports, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare proposals and reports for a variety of corporate, foundation, government, and individual donors on a timely basis
- Develop and execute overall development communications strategy and plan, working closely with Advancement colleagues to coordinate key messages, storylines, and formats
- Work with the appropriate internal departments within HGO to gather relevant information in order to produce donor materials. This includes regular information collection from Senior Management, Artistic, Production, HGOco, the HGO Studio, etc.
- Interact directly with donors, gathering personal stories about how HGO has changed their lives, and incorporating those messages into our donor communication plan
- Brainstorm new ways of showing donors that their gift made a real difference; this can include new donor-centric content for HGO's website and social media channels
- Draft a wide range of 'non-proposal' writing projects for the Development department, including special letters, talking points, invitation language, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned; includes staffing several performances and donor events throughout season