Reports to: Senior VP of Operations
Compensation: $90,000- $100,000 commensurate with experience
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Operations, the Vice President of Marketing is responsible for developing and executing a clearly defined B2C marketing and communication strategy in a manner that supports consistent business growth and enhances the Y brand equity and awareness. This strategic position is responsible for planning, organizing, staffing, training, and managing marketing functions to achieve the YMCA of Greater Boston’s strategic objectives of membership growth, program sales growth, inclusion, and brand visibility while ensuring a consistent marketing message and position consistent with the association’s direction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Implement all branding initiatives for the YMCA of Greater Boston.
• Expand market research to analyze consumer behavior and the competitive set to develop differentiated and defendable platform to create a competitive consumer advantage for the Y
• Build awareness with breakthrough communication that elevates the brand and supports the key brand attributes.
• Coordinate marketing resources across all areas within the department to ensure seamless integration of both long-term seasonal campaigns and short-term tactical efforts. Works closely across departments to ensure all are delivering against marketing vision.
• Drive positive branch results with clear, compelling membership and program communications and promotions that create urgency.
• Develop tracking and metrics to determine the success of marketing programs, promotions and activities.
• Set achievable goals and objectives for marketing team members. Provide strong leadership for the company’s marketing investment ensuring proper planning, management, controls, analysis and measurement.
• Establish and maintain electronic newsletters, social media platforms and website content as needed.
• Develop relationships with service groups, community organizations, universities, schools and hospitals for the purpose of information sharing and marketing.
• Collaborate with staff at all levels of the organization to ensure consistent excellence in marketing materials and initiatives.
• Assist in meeting and exceeding monthly and annual membership and program sales through effective marketing and public relations.
• Supervise team to produce excellent program and membership collateral and promotional materials that effectively promote programs and membership, in accordance with marketing plans.
• Write and distribute press releases and pitch feature stories.
• Assist in the planning and execution of special events and services such as health fairs, open houses, media events, membership drives and the annual Strong Kids campaign.
Key Measuring Dimensions:
• Research and analyze economic trends, member behaviors and habits and the demographic characteristics of all potential members, their preferences for association services and products and those of competitors.
• Identify, interpret, and capitalize on marketing trends.
• Measure the effectiveness of the marketing department and implement improvements as required.
• Develop and prepare key messaging and presentation material for senior management.
• Coach, mentor and raise the team’s ability to deliver and exceed expectations.
YMCA Competencies (Organizational Leader):
Mission Advancement: Incorporates the Y’s mission and values into the organization’s vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the Y. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
Operational Effectiveness: Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
Personal Growth: Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Shares authority and demonstrates courage and humility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
• Bachelor’s degree and 15+ years of marketing experience at a senior leadership level. MBA preferred
• Demonstrated ability to develop strategic marketing plans and a proven track record of accomplishment
• Must have a track record of success working cross functionally to identify and forecast trends and have developed strategies and programs that drove program sales
• Exceptional strategic thinking capabilities, combined with the ability to execute at a tactical level, when necessary.
• Project management skills and prior experience managing campaign execution from planning through to implementation, measurement and analysis. Ability to provide strategic direction and successfully execute plans to drive business performance is required.
• Must have a combination of brand management and CRM experience.
• The VP will be able to effectively manage and lead a marketing function within a complex matrix-ed organization; experience working with a multi-site retailer, hospitality or similar non-profit is preferred.
• Should be a dynamic, enthusiastic and persuasive leader who inspires and positively motivates others to action. Possess strong integrity, energy and credibility.
• Ability to communicate and interface well at all levels of the organization.
• A strong management orientation with an understanding of how to coach, mentor and develop people.
• Be a straightforward, collaborative personality and have the strong ability to influence.
YMCA of Greater Boston is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Drug Free Workplace