Senior Operations Engineer
Savanna Energy Services Corp. is a premiere contract drilling and well servicing company operating in the oil and gas sector internationally and throughout Western Canada. Our goal is to demonstrate a values-based culture through our people, innovation and technology.
Savanna’s Technical Services Group manages the design, construction, delivery and deployment of capital equipment, proactively evaluates and implements new technologies, and provides engineering support to Operations. The Technical Services Group is currently seeking a Senior Operations Engineer based out of Leduc, Alberta.
The Senior Operations Engineer will report to the Operations Engineering Manager, and as a member of the Technical Services Group will provide engineering expertise in the support of day-to-day Operations. This position includes opportunities for advancement as part of a succession plan for the Operations Engineering Manager role.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Inspection and evaluation of equipment for safety and operational efficiency.
- Completion of Level IV inspections and documentation per CAODC policies.
- Regular consultation and communications with Operations personnel at all levels.
- Evaluation of equipment damage and design of suitable structural and mechanical repairs.
- Design and implementation of cost-effective equipment modifications to help improve safety and reliability, including research and selection of corresponding equipment.
- Evaluation of proposed design changes for practicality and adherence to industry codes.
- Research of industry codes and other design criteria.
- Application of operational regulations such as EUB Directive 36 and the CAODC Recommended Practices.
- Preparation of detailed mechanical and structural design calculations, sketches, drawings and other documentation.
- Structural analysis using SAFI.
- Model building & FEA (Finite Element Analysis) using SolidWorks.
- Preparation and review of operational procedures to ensure conformance with equipment design specifications.
- Functional supervision of professional, technical, and clerical staff assigned to help carry out requisite duties.
- Identification and pre-qualification of third party engineering, manufacturing and equipment firms aligned with Savanna’s long-term strategic objectives.
- Solicitation and evaluation of third-party proposals for the detailed design, supply, manufacturing, assembly and commissioning of various equipment.
- Technical oversight of internal and third party equipment supply, manufacturing, assembly and commissioning activities.
- Mentorship of junior design & drafting personnel.
- Field work as required.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
The preferred candidate will have a Mechanical Engineering degree from a Canadian-accredited university, 10+ years of relevant engineering and design experience, and will be registered as a Professional Engineer in the province of Alberta. In addition, the preferred candidate will demonstrate the following traits:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong supervisory skills and ability to effectively manage people.
- Strong work ethic.
- Attention to detail.
- Solid judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Concern for safety.
- SolidWorks, AutoCAD, FEA and structural analysis skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate effectively with project managers, engineers and technical personnel, operations personnel, suppliers and tradesmen.
- Willingness to work flexible hours and travel as required
- Experience specific to drilling and well-servicing equipment as well as knowledge of associated manufacturers and equipment suppliers will be considered a significant asset.
Savanna offers competitive wages, a comprehensive benefits package effective on your first day of work, and an RRSP contribution program.