The YMCA is for Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. Under the supervision of the Membership & Marketing Director, this position will represent the YMCA personally, professionally and in a manner in accordance with the mission and goals of the YMCA. The Member Experience Representative will be responsible for collecting daily passes, membership and program sales, telephone handling, regulating lobby traffic, provide all membership and program information, knowing policies and procedures as well as implementing them. Staff should also be knowledgeable in membership promotions, special events and the computer software. In keeping with the YMCA’s emphasis on Character Development, staff should conduct themselves in a CARING, HONEST, RESPECTFUL, and RESPONSIBLE manner.
Expectations For All YMCA Staff:
- Provide excellent member service by exceeding member expectations.
- Member Service Expectations, which are Activate America drivers: include being a good listener, caring about member’s well-being and checking in on their progress. Staff must also take the initiative to talk with members and to make them feel welcome.
- Using Listen First skills to build relationships with members, program participants and prospects.
- Staff should be making eye contact with members as much as possible when they are talking to them.
- Asking members how they are doing or if they are having a good day as they come into the facility or during classes.
- Staff should make members feel welcome by being pleasant and cheerful, which includes saying hello, goodbye, calling members by name and most importantly smiling at them.
- Be on time, ready to start work at Welcome Center at beginning of your shift, dressed in uniform and name tag, no matter the weather.
- Being open and willing to be a substitute to work a shift where there is no coverage, which means opening, closing, and weekend shifts.
- Present and uphold department and branch policies while keeping the emphasis on customer service.
- Perform program and camp registrations as well as membership sign-ups in YConnect or electronic registration system.
- Must be knowledgeable of all Welcome Center procedures, including and not limited to: guest policy, Membership for All, away policy and emergency plans.
- Perform responsibilities such as; cashing out and balancing daily transactions, and dropping envelopes in safe.
- Maintain an orderly and neat workspace during your shift and clean up when leaving.
- Perform office duties ie. Filing, copying, projects, follow-up etc. as assigned by Member Service Coordinator.
- Conduct a comprehensive interview using Listen First techniques from Activate America, including closing the sale.
- Attend all staff meetings (mandatory) and be able to work as a team player.
- Welcome Center staff will be given multiple tasks by your immediate supervisor that must be executed in a timely manner or in time given.
Skills and Competencies/Know How:
- Multi-tasking (helping customers, answer phone, handle other duties)
- Must be efficient, proficient and knowledgeable in customer services, cashiering, and decision making.
- Able to learn information about each department to better serve potential members and current members or know where to find it.
- Understand the relationship of the general public to the association, of staff to volunteer, and of staff to staff, and be able to effectively enhance and cultivate those relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively with adults and children alike.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to stand for a period of time as well as work and train on a computer.
- Excellent audible ability. Able to hear sounds up to 300 feet away at normal decibel level.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- Physically and verbally able to interact with members and staff.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders.
Collaboration: Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Has strong communications skills and uses them to communicate with all members and supervisors. Has an expectation of quality and consistency from self and others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Ensures continuous personal improvement.
Personal Growth: Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills.
Pay rate: $10.00/ hour