Founded in 1872, The Warren Group is a family-owned company known for its award-winning newspapers and custom publications, and recognized as New England's most trusted source of data and online tools for real estate and financial professionals. The Warren Group publishes Banker & Tradesman, The Commercial Record, and many successful custom trade publications and is looking for a Part-time Web Producer. This is an exciting and critical position on our dynamic team.
If you have a passion for business news – and understand the importance of banking and real estate to the local, regional and national economies – you want to work at The Warren Group, New England’s pre-eminent publisher of banking, real estate, accounting and legal publications. We are currently seeking a creative, smart part-time web producer (up to 20 hours).
Top candidates will be creative, energetic and innovative individuals, eager to jump head first into the world of online journalism for our web sites. These sites complement, and enhance, our award-winning newspapers, and you will break news that affects the strategies and bottom lines of some of the region’s most profitable and influential companies in the pages of Banker & Tradesman and The Commercial Record, our two flagship publications.
If you think a newspaper web site doesn’t always have to just mirror what’s in the paper, but instead can and should be a platform for unique, engaging content, this is the place for you. Offering a dynamic mix of paid and free content, these sites don’t steal from our newspapers – they make them better. Work with our editorial team producing a solid, daily mix of news in brief, breaking news stories and updates, and multimedia presentations designed to keep our highly-educated and influential readers in the know about what’s going on in banking, finance and real estate throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut and the nation. Banking and real estate are the topics of the day, and we have our finger on the pulse of the nation. The potential to tell important, relevant stories to an audience hungry for information has never been greater. (Compensation: $17K-$20K)
The Web Producer reports directly to the Editorial Director.
Summary: Functions as the point person working with our editorial team to update the Banker & Tradesman and The Commercial Record websites; creating and sending out our daily news emails to readers in Massachusetts and Connecticut; making sure we’re targeting readers on Facebook and Twitter; and incorporating multimedia into stories.The position requires a candidate with a strong background in journalism, web experience and the desire to grow with this new technology. You will write, edit and manage online content, ensuring that all content meets high company and journalistic standards on a consistent basis. Ideal candidate should be web-savvy, a proficient writer, creative thinker, well organized, reliable, adaptable to change, and have a strong work ethic. Interest or experience in real estate is desirable.
A strong, fundamental background in journalism is more critical than technical know-how, although familiarity with web delivery channels is a must. Experience with multimedia – video, podcasts, slideshows, social media etc. – is a definite plus.
This is a great part-time job for someone with strong editing skills, solid organization, a passion for quality journalism and an ability to tell stories in many different formats.
Essential Responsibilities (not limited to): Assists editorial team with the following:
- Oversee content-rich and dynamic Web sites;
- Work with editorial team to put the newspaper and magazine content on the Web;
- Help write and produce two daily news e-mails to two separate audiences, and more than 20,000 total subscribers, in Massachusetts and Connecticut;
- Work closely with staff reporters and outside content contributors;
- Continually innovate and add to suite of web offerings;
- Successfully incorporate multi-media presentations into news story presentations;
- Monitor blogs and discussion forums;
- Engage readers on social media
- Monitor user experience, engagement and metrics for Web sites;
- Monitor wires and editorial inbox, filtering relevant news items for aggregation and publication;
- Additional duties may be assigned.
Core Competencies (Skills, knowledge, ability required):
- Knowledge of content management systems;
- Knowledge of social media, including Twitter and Facebook;
- Ability to craft news stories of varying length from multiple sources, including press releases, interviews and presentations;
- Rudimentary digital photography skills are required – an ability to frame subjects, download and manage photos, and work with Production to crop or otherwise enhance photos is a must;
- Willingness to try new things.
- Performs job duties and responsibilities optimally;
- Works well in a team environment;
- Treats others with respect;
- Has a strong work ethic;
- Seeks increased responsibilities and volunteers readily;
- Represents the company positively and professionally, both internally and externally;.
- Shows good judgment;
- Seeks and conveys ideas to improve and promote quality;
- Reacts well under pressure;
- Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events;
- Is consistently at work and on time and delegates responsibilities to cover absences;
- Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills: Ability to read, comprehend and author business correspondence, E-mail, memos, write articles, as well as speak English clearly to all levels of the organization as well as to outside business contacts. Superior ability to write and edit content for publication.
Computer Skills: Industry-related software, e-mail and internet software skills.
Benefits: All legally mandated benefits such as Workers Compensation Insurance and Social Security. However, w/ the exception of possible eligibility for 401K plan, per fulfillment of plan terns, no company benefits.
Work Schedule: Part-time, up to 20 hours per week. Some flexibility, however majority of work will be performed within normal operating hours of 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday on-site. Depending on performance and departmental needs, some telecommuting is an option.
Work Environment: Publishing, Real Estate, Banking…all very exciting, innovative areas to be working and that employment at The Warren Group provides. We nourish a team environment, where ideas and willingness to “go the extra mile” are recognized. The Warren Group is an equal opportunity employer who supports a friendly, quiet workspace, free of harassment. We are located in Downtown Boston, close to South Station.