Job Classification: Part-Time Hourly
Reports to: Site Director
Location: Designated Boston Public School- Roxbury, Dorchester, East Boston, West Roxbury, Hyde Park & Brighton
Hours: Monday-Friday 2:00-6:00 (Also hiring substitutes to work days as needed)
Salary: Starting range: $11.20-14:00 dependent on level of education and experience
This position requires previous experience working with children. Please ensure this work is highlighted in the cover letter and resume. Please specify in your cover letter which neighborhoods you would be available to work in.
Position Summary: The OST Educator is a part-time professional committed to represent the YMCA in a manner that aligns with the mission and goals of the YMCA of Greater Boston and partnering educational institutions. Under the direction of the program Site Director, the Group Educator plans and implements classroom curriculum, communicates information to families, and maintains a safe, healthy, warm, engaging, and attractive environment. Age-appropriate activities should provide for growth in academics and social emotional development.
• Keep safety of children as a first priority
• Provide students with homework/academic support
• Use positive methods of child guidance
• Supervise children to ensure safety and appropriate behavior and manage transitions smoothly
• Work to meet daily duties/needs of the program, and to be responsible for making sure that materials are ready for use and put away at the end of the day
• Develop and implement curriculum that reinforces lessons learned during the school day
• Greet all parents and update them on children’s progress
• As appropriate, participate in events based within the school and/or the YMCA
• Attend all staff meetings, training sessions, and program special events as assigned
• Participate in at least ten (10) hours of professional development per year
• Abide by established EEC/YMCA school age policies, procedures, regulations, and guidelines
• Perform other duties as required by supervisor
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit (at times on the floor with children) and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.