Our ideal candidate has a passion for educating the public; an interest in creativity, DIY art and science projects (“maker” projects), and making things; and enjoys working with people of all ages and backgrounds. Excellent leadership and communication skills; the ability to mentor others; and the ability to interact effectively with children, adults, parents, teachers, and Team Members required. Must be comfortable performing in front of large and small audiences, including one-on-one interactions; and able to stand long periods of time.
Would you like to spend a summer inspiring children and youth? Are you an avid maker who works well with others and likes to share what you know? We are recruiting Maker Corps interns/ members to serve as near-peer mentors, role models and presenters at COSI. In partnership with the Maker Education Initiative, Maker Corps members will be employed by COSI during the summer of 2013 to engage children and families in creative projects that develop problem-solving skills.
If you are at least 18 years old, a “maker,” interested in building your resume, learning new skills, and becoming part of a national network of makers, apply now!
OBJECTIVE: Take a visible leadership role within COSI. Assist in co-creating and presenting maker activities for COSI Guests as part of Engineering Summer Camp, little kidspace’s Big Kid Lab area and other locations at COSI. Assist in documentation and evaluation efforts of maker programs and the Maker Corps project. Engage Guests with hands-on-experiences through asking questions, facilitating exploration, leading activities in workshops and hallways, and presenting shows.
ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in 8-week online Maker training program for 5 hours/week in April and May 2013. Meet with COSI team for 1-2 hours monthly in April, May and June. Participate in 5 hours of COSI training in June 2013.
- Assist in facilitating Maker activities in Engineering Summer Camp and/or little kidspace’s Big Kid Lab.
- Co-Develop maker activities for COSI with other Maker Corps interns and COSI Team Members.
- Communicate your Maker Corps experience, Maker activities and Guest interactions with others via photos, video, and writing that you and the other Maker Corps members will produce.
- Educate and interact with Guests using maker activities. Utilize a variety of methods and learning theories to accommodate a wide range of ages, audiences, and spaces.
- Perform necessary maintenance, setup, and teardown of program materials and exhibition spaces for daily operations and special events.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of COSI’s workshops and exhibition areas including:
- Philosophy, policies, and educational methods and techniques.
- Function, performance, and operation of all exhibits and program elements.
- Setup, cleanup, maintenance, and emergency procedures in exhibitions and programs.
- Support general COSI operations through participation in meetings as appropriate.
- Serve as an example to other COSI Team Members and Volunteers in matters of appearance, attitude, and performance in a manner best serving COSI paid and Volunteer Team Members and Guests.
- In accordance with COSI's Guest Services Strategy, and as opportunities present themselves, provide excellence in Guest Services by assuring Guest safety, using courtesy to drive each Guest interaction, by delivering the COSI show, and by keeping operations efficient.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Team Leader for Volunteers, Programs; other area Team Leaders; and/or the Director of Strategic Initiatives.