High School diploma or equivalent; completion of COSI’s Trial/Probationary Period and Evaluation as a Part-Time Experience Programs Teacher; and in satisfactory disciplinary standing are the minimum qualifications for this position.
Ideal candidate possesses strong organizational skills; a strong grasp of the scientific content represented by the curriculum elements; exemplary teaching skills; and a passion and dedication for informal science teaching and learning. A foundational working knowledge of Experience Program shows, carts, and interactives; and of COSI systems, Teams, and operations essential.
OBJECTIVE: Enhance the Guest experience by accepting ownership of portions of COSI’s curriculum. Ownership entails both leading the teaching and learning process for these curriculum elements, as well as leading the maintenance, supply, and continued development of these elements. Continue to enhance the Guest experience by bringing out the inquisitive nature in each individual, incorporating methods such as inquiry, theatre, and demonstration in COSI’s Exhibition Areas.
ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
- Assume ownership of a set of activities, as assigned by the Manager of Experience Programs and the Faculty Leader for Attractions & Supervision. Ownership entails both the teaching of these activities to the Team; and the maintenance, supply, and continued development of these activities.
- Educate and interact with COSI Guests using shows, activities, and workshops. Utilize a variety of methods and learning theories to accommodate a wide range of ages, audiences, and spaces.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of the Floor Faculty Curriculum including:
- Philosophy, policies, and educational methods and techniques.
- Function, performance, and operation of all exhibits and program elements.
- Setup, cleanup, maintenance, and emergency procedures.
- Supervise, mentor, and evaluate youth and adult Volunteers.
- Act as Point Person for daily operations, evening events, and/or Camp-ins; including checking the sick line, making changes to the DPOP, and addressing Guest and Team concerns.
- Document shift issues including absent and tardy Team Members or other Team concerns.
- Perform necessary maintenance, setup, and teardown of program materials and exhibition spaces; for daily operations and special events.
- Assist in the teaching and learning process for new Team Members, paid and Volunteer.
- Provide creative input to enhance the Guest experience in shows, workshops, and activities; including development of scripts, educational materials, and programming.
- Perform duties, as required, for special events.
- Support general COSI operations through participation in meetings as appropriate.
- Serve as an example to other COSI Team Members and Volunteers in matters of appearance, attitude, and performance in a manner best serving COSI paid and Volunteer Team Members and Guests.
- In accordance with COSI's Guest Services Strategy and as opportunities present themselves, provide excellence in Guest Services by assuring Guest safety, using courtesy to drive each Guest interaction, by delivering the COSI show, and by keeping operations efficient.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Faculty Leader for Attractions & Supervision and/or the Faculty Leaders or Program Managers.