Primary duty is to perform all complex daily warehouse operations. May plan and prioritize operations. Have advanced knowledge of the operational and planning requirements of all existing accounts. Have a working knowledge of personal computer-based receiving systems. Assist in overall training of new warehouse staff. May assist in evaluation of new warehouse staff, as assigned. Perform all duties correctly, cost-efficiently, within Company standards, and under the limited supervision of the department Supervisor or Manager. This position is typically the most senior, non-exempt position in the department.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES • Receive cargo from incoming trucks by removing from truck by hand or by using manual equipment such as hand trucks or pallet jacks. • Verify and note the count and condition of cargo received, knowing when to either refuse or accept with notation. • Operate PC-based receiving systems when applicable. • Separate cargo received by account or intended location, and store in proper location. • Know the special handling requirements and necessary documentation related to special cargoes, including hazardous or sensitive materials. • Perform all forklift requirements, including heavy and oversized pieces. Be proficient in all types of container stuffing, including blocking and bracing. • Develop load plans for trucks and containers. Anticipate equipment needs for a shipment. • Have strong knowledge of all existing accounts including cargo handling and shipping, interaction with staff directing traffic flow. • Provide excellent and timely customer service, under the limited supervision and advice of the department Supervisor or Manager, by proactively meeting client needs and referring clients to a higher-level authority when questions are beyond scope of responsibility. • Be proficient at all levels of packing. • Assist in general warehouse planning, including storage arrangements and daily job flow. • Assist in training of new warehouse staff. • Adhere to all domestic and international shipping requirements. • Communicate with clients, coworkers, and supervisors in a clear, concise, and timely manner. • Advise the department Supervisor or Manager of any transaction problems or irregularities. • Adhere to all company policies, procedures, and guidelines, such as the Code of Conduct, assigned work schedules, and attendance requirements. • If UTi University systems training has been completed, employee may be required to train new employees in systems, at branch. • Perform other duties as assigned.
• Must successfully complete, or have completed, all courses applicable to the position at UTi University. • Must successfully complete, or have completed, on-site systems training by a qualified team member. • Demonstrate advanced competency in warehouse activities and receive Forklift Safety and Hazardous Materials training.
JOB SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS
• The ability to read and interpret data in order to maintain simple records. • The ability to follow complex verbal and/or written instructions. • The ability to use forklifts, hand trucks, and other warehouse equipment safely. • The ability to lift a minimum of 75 pounds on a regular, daily basis. • The ability to perform the functions of a Distribution Specialist I, II, or III, as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
• Very good communication skills • Very good judgment • Initiative • High integrity • Very good problem-solving and analytical skills • The ability to multi-task • The ability to work well under pressure • The ability to be a team player • The ability to establish priorities and meet goals
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent. • A minimum of four years increasingly responsible international transportation industry experience preferred.
• No travel required for this position.
Work is performed in a warehouse environment and requires lifting heavy items in the loading and unloading of trucks and containers. The use of forklifts and hand trucks is required daily. May be subject to heat and cold during peak weather periods.
The working environment is moderately hazardous because of the presence of warehouse equipment, exposure to heat and cold, and to conditions that may be noisy, and dirty. Safety measures must be taken.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain nor be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
UTi is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is currently not accepting applications.
To search for an open position, please go to http://uti.appone.com