The Vineyard Equipment Technician ensures that all winery and vineyard equipment and tools are in a good and safe working condition to make classic wines. The Vineyard Equipment Technician insists on quality in workmanship. This individual has a strong understanding of the principles of winemaking and viticulture that guide Opus One and how to implement and manage them in a safe, practical, and efficient manner. The Vineyard Equipment Technician works with Assistant Winemaker/ Viticulturist & other members of the vineyard team to allocate work and to coordinate equipment and supplies for specific jobs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs all vineyard and winery maintenance, including basic electrical work, welding, basic plumbing, and pipe fitting, motor and machine repair and basic fabrication, including heavy physical labor.
- Responsible for preventative maintenance on all vineyard and winery equipment. If any damage or malfunction is found, repairs are to be made in a timely manner and longer repairs are scheduled through supervisor.
- Makes needed repairs on portable equipment and assists in major repairs to allow work to proceed.
- Collaborates with the Assistant Winemaker/ Viticulturist, Director of Viticulture & Facility Mechanic on coordinating all vineyard mechanical activities, ensuring timely planning, preparation, and completion of all operations.
- Applies their deep understanding of oils and lubricants and their impact on the longevity of motors and equipment.
- Read, understand and follow machine blueprints in English/Spanish.
- Assist Skilled and Production Mechanics in troubleshooting and repairing equipment.
- Assist with painting jobs.
- Set-up and use the following types of welding equipment:
- Arc (stick, MIG, TIG)
- Respond to emergency calls outside of work hours & rotate on-call as needed.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with the vineyard team and other department team members.
- Promotes and upholds the safety standards of Opus One.
- Drive Company or personal vehicle to pick-up and deliver parts and supplies.
- Drive forklift to move supplies and equipment.
- Assist in the implementation and completion of all assigned cultural operations.
- Work within your area of expertise, knowing when to ask for help.
- Work toward maintaining and improving assigned work areas.
- Maintain equipment and tools that you use to insure proper working order at all time (PM’s).
- Do cleanup in assigned areas and in areas where currently working.
- Supply necessary hand tools to vineyard crew and facilities team.
- Frost control support.
- 3 years’ experience and/or vocational training in machine blueprint reading and repair, oxyacetylene arc and stainless-steel welding and plumbing/pipe fitting.
- 3 years general and/or vocational training in one of the following areas: refrigeration; machining/tool and die making; concrete work; carpentry; equipment operation; advanced sheet metal work and welding; advanced electrical; or painting and coating.
- Must have experience in the operation of vineyard equipment and tools, including pump stations and irrigation systems.
- Proficient in one of the following advanced skills: machining/tool and die making; concrete work; carpentry; equipment operation and repair; advanced sheet metal work and welding; advanced electrical; or painting and coating.
- Experience with MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Microsoft Teams)
- Must be able to read, understand, and follow machine blueprints.
- Excellent follow-through and project assignment skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels at Opus One
- Able to prioritize and organize, meet deadlines with accuracy, work independently, and understand basic fiscal management.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Forklift certified.
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish and be literate in both verbal and written communication.
Physical ability to perform tasks that may require prolonged standing, sitting, lifting, and other activities necessary to perform essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Working Conditions/ Hazards:
Work is performed in various environments: indoor, outdoor, hot, cold. The individual will be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic chemicals, electrical hazards, and fumes or airborne particles relative to normal Vineyard processes. Occasionally works near moving machinery parts. Noise levels are usually moderate to loud. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. or heavier.
SAFETY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accident prevention is of utmost importance in all phases of job responsibilities.
- Follow all company policies and procedures including job safety, safety rules and regulations.
- Assist management to provide safe and healthy working conditions at all times.
- Immediately report all unsafe conditions, work-related accidents, and illnesses to Safety Manager and your supervisor.
SUSTAINABILITY: Opus One Winery is committed to doing its part to ensure a sustainable future and improve the environmental well-being of our community. We will continue to ensure minimal impact by continually evaluating our environmental performance and working to improve our program whenever necessary with integrity and purity of focus.
COMPENSATION: Base Compensation Range: $30.00-$38.00 USD hourly*
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Opus One Winery is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and welcome diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
* The base compensation range is base salary only. In addition to base compensation, all roles are eligible for individual performance bonus and company bonus that range from role to role. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay. Individual compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, such as skills, experience, qualifications, and tenure with Opus One.
We understand that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. To learn more about our total compensation package, benefits and perks Opus One Winery has to offer, please visit our careers page.