|A pioneering not-for-profit affordable housing developer and community programs initiator in New York City, Settlement Housing Fund, Inc. has worked since 1969 to create more than 8,700 apartments through 64 affordable rental and homeownership development projects. Settlement Housing Fund presently owns and maintains 36 buildings containing 1,979 apartments in various locations, with concentrations of housing and programs in the Mt. Eden section of the Bronx, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, the Two Bridges neighborhood on the Lower East Side, as well as at other sites throughout Manhattan. We expect that our portfolio will continue to grow. Settlement Housing Fund is equally committed to bringing amenities, programs and services to communities we serve through the development and operation of affordable housing. Settlement Housing Fund is the parent organization of The Crenulated Company, LTD dba New Settlement which was created in 1989 with the acquisition of 14 abandoned buildings from the City of New York. New Settlement has evolved into a robust social service organization offering a range of community-based services in education, college access, youth development, arts, workforce development, community organizing, wellness and other key services that provide important resources to the neighborhood's youth and families. New Settlement's success has been achieved through close collaboration with a wide range of educational institutions, housing and community development organizations, businesses, youth development and social service agencies - in the neighborhood, Bronx-wide, across New York and nationally. The programs at New Settlement are supported by local, state and federal government agencies, as well as foundations, corporations, organizations and individuals.
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Data/Office Manager, the Office Assistant will support office staff in all administrative and clerical functions of the NSA Youthbuild Program while working closely with young adults ages 17.5 – 24 years old. In addition to handling administrative functions, the Office Assistant is responsible for fiscal functions and supervises database maintenance. The Office Assistant exercises substantial discretion and independent judgment in effecting his/her responsibilities including, but not limited to, handling vendor transactions. Detailed responsibilities are as follows.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Day to day responsibilities include office reception as well as student application and intake process.
- Provides program information, capture documents and track applications in the enrollment pipeline as well as conducts intake interviews and verify student eligibility.
- Monitors student attendance and performance, maintains records and data, as well as contacts students who are absent.
- Tracks student timesheets and submits for payroll.
- Acts as liaison with main office regarding administrative matters, incident reports and building management issues.
- Orders supplies and goods and maintains vendor relationships.
- Enters information on students, attendance, activities, scores, and outcomes into spreadsheets and other data as required.
- Assists with correspondence, filing, phone answering, copying, and scanning.
- Conducts outreach and program marketing as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or three years of experience in a related field
- Previous experience working with youth in a community-based setting, using a positive youth development model
- Strong commitment to helping young people succeed in an innovative training program to reorient their lives, nurture their leadership skills, and enable them to make a difference in their community
- Strong organizational skills- must be detail-oriented
- Experience with clerical and administrative skills
- Strong computer skills preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task and work as part of a team
- Flexible schedule
- Strong speaking and writing in Spanish language preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employment is at will and employees will undergo 45- and 90-day check-ins during their 90-day probationary period.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow other instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
New Settlement is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an employee. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of you as an employee. You may be asked to perform other duties as required.
$20.00 - $25.00 per hour